× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot login to NAS

RonLuxton123
Aspirant

Cannot login to NAS

I have beeen away from my computers for some time, althoough they have been untouched,
and now I find that the server at 192.168.0.2 will not accept my login details, of which I kept
a careful note.
My NAS is a NW+V1 which has given me sterling service over the years.
Some time ago I performed a reinstal with new details- was it an OS ? - following valuable guidance fron this
Forum, after which I was able to re-instate my login details, leaving the contents of the NAS intact.
I cannot recall the EXACT way of going about this procedure, so would appreciate any
guidance you can give. I shall be loathe to do anything to wipe the files on the NAS.
RonLuxton
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot login to NAS

You want to do the OS reinstall procedure described on page 24 of the hardware manual: http://www.readynas.com/download/docume ... 6Dec11.pdf

You do NOT want to do a factory reset, so be careful about that.

The OS reinstall will reset the password to "netgear1" and will also change the IP address configuration to "automatic" (DHCP).

This is pretty safe, but it is always a good idea to make a backup if you don't have one.
Message 2 of 4
RonLuxton123
Aspirant

Many thanks for your expert help. As always, a OS reinstall went perfectly following your advice - although I always find it a nerve-wrecking procedure to follow, until it turns out OK and wonder why I worried.

Should I leave the log-on settings as they are now - 'admin' and 'netgear1' ? and how does this relate to the password asked for in NAS - indeed, at the moment it is blank, so do I need a password if I am the only user ?

Everything is running perfectly now, with no loss of data. I am extremely grateful.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you are up and running again.
RonLuxton123 wrote:
As always, a OS reinstall went perfectly following your advice - although I always find it a nerve-wrecking procedure to follow
It is nerve-wracking. I hate any procedure that starts with a bent paper-clip, and it only gets worse when you need to pay attention to blinking lights, etc.

I think you did survive a close call - you should put a backup strategy in place. It's always risky to trust your data to one device.
RonLuxton123 wrote:
Should I leave the log-on settings as they are now - 'admin' and 'netgear1' ? and how does this relate to the password asked for in NAS - indeed, at the moment it is blank, so do I need a password if I am the only user ?
You can't change the admin username, but you can/should change its default password. Generally it is a bad idea to leave a password set to factory default, it makes it much easier for remote hackers. Though security folks turn pale when people write passwords down, there is no real harm in putting it on a label on the NAS. Anyone stealing the physical unit can do the same OS reinstall that you did.
RonLuxton123 wrote:
...and how does this relate to the password asked for in NAS
Are you thinking about access from Windows Explorer?

If so, Windows will automatically submit your windows logon and password to the NAS. If the NAS accepts it, you won't get another prompt. The NAS will reject it if (1) there is a user with the same username on the NAS, but which uses a different password or (2) guest access is not enabled.

If everything is accessible, then it is ok to leave well enough alone. Though I generally do enter the NAS admin credentials into the Windows credentials manager.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements