× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot save Office 2016 files to ReadyNas 102

barryd
Aspirant

Cannot save Office 2016 files to ReadyNas 102

Firmware version 6.1.7

This devices has been serving a small office of four computers for a fair few years. Its not full although I am clearing out some of the backups and has worked faultlessly for years.  Today its decided not to save anything from Excel, Word etc 2016.  I can copy files to it, create and save a PDF or save a notepad file but not an Excel spreadsheet. It just says "not saved".  I got some error about permissions when I tried to alter an excel file already on the NAS.

Just clearling out some old backups but there is space available. Any ideas?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Cannot save Office 2016 files to ReadyNas 102

6.1.7 was and of November 2016.

Did you had the file system run full on your NAS?

Message 2 of 7
barryd
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

6.1.7 was and of November 2016.

Did you had the file system run full on your NAS?

Not sure what you mean by that. Anyway I deleted about 80gb of old backup files off it in the last couple of hours and it now seems to be working. It wasnt full though which is odd, unless it thought it was full. they were just small PDF and txt files that seemed to save so maybe there was enough space for them and not a large Excel Spreadsheet but according to the the Netgear GUI there was about 80gb free anyway. Maybe its time it was replaced. Its been in there for seven years.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@barryd wrote: Not sure what you mean by that. 

I think @schumaku was pointing out that 6.1.7 is very out of date (current firmware is 6.10.4).  You probably should upgrade it to 6.9.6 or perhaps 6.10.3.  That has to be done in a couple of steps - check the release notes for details.   https://kb.netgear.com/000061727/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-3

6.10.4 has an annoying bug if you use rsync "pull" backups, so I'd pass on that release if you use that feature.

@barryd wrote:
It wasnt full though which is odd, unless it thought it was full. they were just small PDF and txt files that seemed to save so maybe there was enough space for them and not a large Excel Spreadsheet but according to the the Netgear GUI there was about 80gb free anyway. Maybe its time it was replaced. Its been in there for seven years.

You can run into serious trouble if you don't have enough free space with BTRFS, and 80 GB of free space isn't enough.  I don't let my free space go below 15% of the volume size myself.

If you are using the "smart" snapshot feature, then I suggest deleting the oldest snapshots.  You really don't need them going back 7 years.  If you continue to use the NAS, you could also expand it's capacity.

Message 4 of 7
barryd
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@barryd wrote: Not sure what you mean by that. 

I think @schumaku was pointing out that 6.1.7 is very out of date (current firmware is 6.10.4).  You probably should upgrade it to 6.9.6 or perhaps 6.10.3.  That has to be done in a couple of steps - check the release notes for details.   https://kb.netgear.com/000061727/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-3

6.10.4 has an annoying bug if you use rsync "pull" backups, so I'd pass on that release if you use that feature.

@barryd wrote:
It wasnt full though which is odd, unless it thought it was full. they were just small PDF and txt files that seemed to save so maybe there was enough space for them and not a large Excel Spreadsheet but according to the the Netgear GUI there was about 80gb free anyway. Maybe its time it was replaced. Its been in there for seven years.

You can run into serious trouble if you don't have enough free space with BTRFS, and 80 GB of free space isn't enough.  I don't let my free space go below 15% of the volume size myself.

If you are using the "smart" snapshot feature, then I suggest deleting the oldest snapshots.  You really don't need them going back 7 years.  If you continue to use the NAS, you could also expand it's capacity.

Thanks. Is there an easy way to remove the old snapshots?  I suspect that is the issue. 

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@barryd wrote:

Thanks. Is there an easy way to remove the old snapshots?  I suspect that is the issue. 

It's been a very long time since I've run 6.1.7, and the ui has changed some since then.

But you can go to the share page, and then select "Recover".  Then select a share, and you should see the snapshots for that share.

You can select multiple snapshots, and you should see an option to delete.  Not sure if you need to do a right-click or a normal click with that firmware.  Be careful not to actually recover of course.

But I think a better path is to back up the NAS, then upgrade it to current firmware (following the steps in the release notes).  Then do a factory default, reconfigure the NAS, and restore the files from the backup.  The reason I am recommending this is that the on-disk structures used by BTRFS have changed over the years.  Doing a factory default after you upgrade firmware will let you take advantage of those changes. 

You should see a noticeable boost in performance after doing the default (at least I did, when I did this on my own RN102 some years back).

Message 6 of 7
barryd
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@barryd wrote:

It's been a very long time since I've run 6.1.7, and the ui has changed some since then.

But you can go to the share page, and then select "Recover".  Then select a share, and you should see the snapshots for that share.

You can select multiple snapshots, and you should see an option to delete.  Not sure if you need to do a right-click or a normal click with that firmware.  Be careful not to actually recover of course.

But I think a better path is to back up the NAS, then upgrade it to current firmware (following the steps in the release notes).  Then do a factory default, reconfigure the NAS, and restore the files from the backup.  The reason I am recommending this is that the on-disk structures used by BTRFS have changed over the years.  Doing a factory default after you upgrade firmware will let you take advantage of those changes. 

You should see a noticeable boost in performance after doing the default (at least I did, when I did this on my own RN102 some years back).

Thanks. will give it a go. I dont do much with ReadyNas these days really. I got my fingers burned doing firmware updates a few years back when it was used on a mixed platform with Apple and PC desktops and it caused absolute chaos and the update just made it worse.  There was a long thread about it on here and I had several Netgear engineers working on it for weeks.  All it does is store word and excel files and a few desktop backups.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements