× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Change admin user account email address (ReadyNAS OS6)

patdman81
Tutor

Change admin user account email address (ReadyNAS OS6)

Can anyone tell me how to change the admin email address that is used for system notifications?
I can't seem to change it.

RNDU6000 running OS v6.10.7

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Change admin user account email address (ReadyNAS OS6)

@patdman81 wrote:

SMTP server / port / TLS setting are all as they were before (and match google's recomendation)

Before I go crazy....have I missed something else obvious?

Google changed their security for gmail a few weeks ago - removing the setting to enable less secure apps.  You now need to set up an app-specific password in your google account for the NAS.  This will require you to enable 2FA for account.

If you don't want to enable 2FA, you can switch to yahoo mail for the send account - it also requires an app-specific password, but not 2FA.  You can still send the notifications to gmail.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@patdman81 wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to change the admin email address that is used for system notifications?
I can't seem to change it.

RNDU6000 running OS v6.10.7

Normally you go to system->settings->alerts in the admin web ui.

When you expand the alerts area you should see a blue + and - on the upper right of the contacts list.  You can select contacts and delete them there.

Also, if you scroll down a bit you'll see user,password, and email provider boxes.  You should be able to edit their contents (and you will see some more configuration items if you expand "advanced".   This area configures the email account used to send the alerts.  

Message 2 of 6
patdman81
Tutor

Not sure how I didn't find that before, thanks.

I've made the change....and now the test message won't send due to authentication settings.

And...I can't revert back to the previous account that was working.

SMTP server / port / TLS setting are all as they were before (and match google's recomendation)

Message 3 of 6
patdman81
Tutor

I've tried with my username as "abcxyz@gmail.com" and "abcxyz", both encounter the same error.

See attached, just in case 🙂

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@patdman81 wrote:

Google changed their security for gmail a few weeks ago - removing the setting to enable less secure apps.  You now need to set up an app-specific password in your google account for the NAS.  This will require you to enable 2FA for account.

If you don't want to enable 2FA, you can switch to yahoo mail for the send account - it also requires an app-specific password, but not 2FA.  You can still send the notifications to gmail.

Message 5 of 6
patdman81
Tutor

Phew, thanks for that. I read a while back something was coming in that space but had forgotten.

All sorted now. Thanks again!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements