× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing Disks in a RN214 NAS.

wayne2101
Tutor

Changing Disks in a RN214 NAS.

I have a RN214 with 4 disks , all running smoothly, however I would like to replace 2 disks with a higher capacity. Is there a procedure to transfer all data, or can I plug and play one disc at a time?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Changing Disks in a RN214 NAS.

The re-sync required when replacing a drive can be hard on the others, so the first step is to make sure your backup is up to date,  Then, assuming XRAID is enabled, just replace the two drives, one at a time.  It is best to remove/replace while the NAS is running, as you can confirm in the admin GUI that the NAS has seen the change.  After a new one is inserted, it will need to re-sync, which will take hours (and the GUI will give you status).  On the second drive, you'll actually get two syncs.  One to re-sync the original volume space, and one to sync the expansion space.

You can use the NAS while the syncs are ongoing, but your access will be slowed.  If you do a lot (like a backup job), it will also increase the sync time.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Changing Disks in a RN214 NAS.

The re-sync required when replacing a drive can be hard on the others, so the first step is to make sure your backup is up to date,  Then, assuming XRAID is enabled, just replace the two drives, one at a time.  It is best to remove/replace while the NAS is running, as you can confirm in the admin GUI that the NAS has seen the change.  After a new one is inserted, it will need to re-sync, which will take hours (and the GUI will give you status).  On the second drive, you'll actually get two syncs.  One to re-sync the original volume space, and one to sync the expansion space.

You can use the NAS while the syncs are ongoing, but your access will be slowed.  If you do a lot (like a backup job), it will also increase the sync time.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements