× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing HDD 2x 6TB

Dedi
Aspirant

Changing HDD 2x 6TB

Hi there,

I tried to change my disks (before 3 TB) and bought two WD Red 6  TB.

First I changed disk 2  (take off the old one an put in the new). It seemed to me, that the synchronisation works. It took about 4 hours.

Then I changed disk 1  .

Both blue lights are on, but it doesn´t synchronize. I see the NAS in the explorer, but I can´t reach the data.

Is 6 TB too much?

Was the way of changing the disks wrong.

I need help. Thank you in advance.

Dedi

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
Dedi
Aspirant

Re: Changing HDD 2x 6TB

It works!!!!!

Thank you for your help. It was a hard way to change the disks and without your helf .....Smiley Sad

I summarize what I´ve learned:

1. Never ever change a disk if you aren´t VERY SHURE that the synchronisation is ready!

2. Always change the disk, when the NAS is working (hot swapping)!

3. Reboot in case of little errors.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 26

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dedi

Welcome to the Community!

You did right on changing the disks one by one and having them finish re-sync before replacing another. Have you had any warnings or errors before you changed the disks? What does RAIDar show when checking the status of the NAS? Kindly send in the logs through PM so we can check.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

Hi Marc,

thank you for your answer. (My english is not very good, so I´m not shure whether I understand you. Ok, let´s try 🙂

I got no warnings

RAIDar is a special software, right?  I downloaded and extracted ....but what to do now?? No *exe!!??

When I call the NAS in my Browser the system info says "Volume  scan failed to tun properly" and (in german) "the paths to the shares can´t be found. This happens when ReadyNAS coundn´t reach the volume".

Does it matter whether the disks are in shaft 1 or 2 (I changed first 2 and than 1)?

Message 3 of 26
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dedi

The volume is not available or inactive. Can you install RAIDar and check the status and also try to download the logs.

It does not matter what disk you replace.

Regards

Message 4 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

@MARC

I downloaded RAIDar, extracted the file ... but there is no *.exe. What to do?

Message 5 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Dedi wrote:

I downloaded RAIDar, extracted the file ... but there is no *.exe. What to do?

What version did you download?  What operating system are you using on the PC?  Windows?

Message 6 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

I work with Windows10; downloaded RAIDiator 5.3.13 and installed it with the dashboard, "firmware update". Probably this was the wrong way; no more shares and no reports 😞

Maybe I´ll do best, repaeting the whole procedure. What do you mean?

.....Installing the one of the old disks (3 TB) and on of the new (6TB)....synchronizing .... and changing the second one.

How can I´m shure that the first synchronizing prozess is completed?

Message 7 of 26
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dedi

You should download RAIDar 6.5 for Windows

Did you changed the disk while the first one you inserted was synchronizing?  You will be able to see that status using RAIDar. If you by accident replaced the last disk while the first one was synchronizing, getting the volume inactive will surely be the result. You should replaced another disk only after re-sync has finished.

Have you tried inserting the old disks and see if it will boot normally? if it does, you may want to retry replacing each disk or do a full Backup of your data, replacing all disks with the new one and perform Factory reset then transfer the data after finsihing setup with the new disk.

Message 8 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

RAIDar shows two harddisks are ok., and system status is ok too.

In dashboard and explorer I can see the shares but no files within the shares.

So it might be a good idea to insert one of the old disks and one of the new and let them synchronize. Right?

Two more questions:

Where can I see the first process is finished?

Is X-RAID2 the correct modus to get a mirror on the second disk?

Message 9 of 26
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RAIDar shows two harddisks are ok., and system status is ok too.

In dashboard and explorer I can see the shares but no files within the shares.

> This is possibly because the 2 drives you inserted were formatted as a new volume

So it might be a good idea to insert one of the old disks and one of the new and let them synchronize. Right?

> Can you insert one of the disk without the 2 6Tb and see if it will boot normally? If it did boot normally I suggest doing a backup of your data then transfer it to the created volume from the 6TB drives

Two more questions:

Where can I see the first process is finished?

>When resync finishes it should notify you on the Admin page under volume tab or on RAIDar

Is X-RAID2 the correct modus to get a mirror on the second disk?

> X-RAID will automatically determine the best RAID to use, if you have a 2 bay NAS using X-RAID it will automatically use RAID1

Message 10 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Dedi wrote:

Not yet.

What I suggest doing now is powering down, and inserting the first disk that you removed (that is the original disk 2).  Put it back into slot 2, and leave slot 1 empty.

The power up the NAS.  It should boot up, and give you a degraded volume.  Verify that you access all your data.  Then back the data up.

Note this is the same as @Marc_V's advice - it's just a bit more specific on the steps.  

Message 11 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

Good morning Stephen, good morning Marc (it´s 10:00 am in Germany :-),

I was too quick for your advice 😞

I put the old disk 1 in slot 1 and the new 6f TB disk in slot 2 and it seemed to synchronize for several hours.

I see the NAS in the explorer and can open the files - so everything seems to be fine. But RAIDar shows just the first disk as ok and the second (new one) as empty. (see picture RAIDar.jpg). Looking at the configuration page   shows   that  disk  2 is no mirror of disk 1 (wrong RAID!?)

When I take off the (old disk 1) my explorer can find the NAS, I can see the folders ....but I can´t open the files and the admin page shows no volume.

So I have to do it your way. right?

Message 12 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

Your proposal was: > Can you insert one of the disk without the 2 6Tb and see if it will boot normally? If it did boot normally I suggest doing a backup of your data then transfer it to the created volume from the 6TB drives

The first step was to save all my files, richt? - I already made a backup, before I changed the disks, so I got all my datas on another NTFS-disk .

Now, do you want  me to put both new disks in and transfer the data by copying from the NTFS-disk to the NAS?

(I guess this is an workaround. Reading the manual it seems so easy to change the disks. I can´t see what I did wrong?)

Ok, I see the NAS and the shares in my explorer ... but I can´t copy files.

(Maybe some setings has changed when I updated the firmware .  ....that sounds difficult 😞

The file-system of the NAS-formattet disks is an Linux-system, isn´t it?

Message 13 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Dedi wrote:

Good morning Stephen, good morning Marc (it´s 10:00 am in Germany :-),

I was too quick for your advice 😞

I put the old disk 1 in slot 1 and the new 6f TB disk in slot 2 and it seemed to synchronize for several hours.

I see the NAS in the explorer and can open the files - so everything seems to be fine. But RAIDar shows just the first disk as ok and the second (new one) as empty. (see picture RAIDar.jpg). Looking at the configuration page   shows   that  disk  2 is no mirror of disk 1 (wrong RAID!?)

Remove the 6 TB drive (disk 2) with the NAS running, and then make sure you can access the files/folders without it.

After that reinsert it (again with the NAS running).  That should start another sync.  When it completes you'll see a notification, and RAIDar should show a redundant volume again.

Message 14 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

Thank you, it seem to work fine. RAIDar shows both disks and the running sync-process.

The difference to what I did is the running NAS. The manual (and what I found in internet ) said it doesn´t matter. But it matters!!!!

Message 15 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Dedi wrote:

The difference to what I did is the running NAS. The manual (and what I found in internet ) said it doesn´t matter. But it matters!!!!

I always recommend swapping the disks with the NAS running.  The NAS then detects the removal and insertion and doesn't have to figure things out.

There is a small downside - if you accidentally remove the wrong disk you need immediately reinsert it and wait for a resync to complete before you continue.  But on the whole I think it works out better.

Anyway, wait for the notification in the web ui.  Then you can try again with the second drive.  After that sync is complete, re-confirm that you can access your files.  If the volume size hasn't expanded to ~5.4 TiB, then reboot the NAS.  That should trigger the expansion (which will require another sync on the expanded space).

Message 16 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

It´s still synchronizing  (slot 1 = the old disk / slot 2 = the new one)

now I got a warning message "Detected increasing uncorrectable errors (40) on disk 1 (ST3000DM001-9Y166,S1F0A95H) ....."

I guess this is the old disk. Will these erros infect the new disk?

Message 17 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Dedi wrote:

now I got a warning message "Detected increasing uncorrectable errors (40) on disk 1 (ST3000DM001-9Y166,S1F0A95H) ....."

I guess this is the old disk. Will these erros infect the new disk?

With RAID-1 the sync process is copying everything on one disk to the other.  So if the primary disk can't be read, then there could be some file system corruption on the other other drive.

One option is to let it complete, and then power down the NAS.  Take out both disks, and try booting up with the other 3 TB drive in slot one.  If that works, then hot-insert the second 6 TB.  If that completes w/o errors, then just hot-swap the 3 TB drive with the other 6 TB (the one currently in slot 2).  It will resync again of course.

My thinking behind letting the current sync complete is that the other 3 TB disk might also have errors.

Message 18 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I´ll try this after work.

Looking on RAIDar, everything seems fine. Going deeper I see only 3 TB as the disk-size Smiley Sad

I guess it´s my fault, cause I skip the  "factory default".  I did so, cause I didn´t find in the manual how to do this just for the disks. I hesitate to do a factory default for the whole NAS.

Is there a shortcut or do I have to start the whole process from the beginning?

Message 19 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Dedi wrote:

Going deeper I see only 3 TB as the disk-size Smiley Sad

I don't know what "deeper" thing you are looking at.  But the volume size will be 3 TB until you sync the second 6 TB disk.  You should see the correct disk sizes on the volume tab.

Perhaps post a screen shot? 

Message 20 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

RAIDar says, that the sync-prozess is finished and everthing is ok.

But, what I see "deeper" ....look my screenshot (I don´t know how you call this admin-tool.)

I see there NO SHARES but in the explorer I see the (old) folders - which were my shares in the past.

Message 21 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Dedi wrote:

But, what I see "deeper" ....look my screenshot (I don´t know how you call this admin-tool.)

That is the volume size, which is correct for 3 TB + 6 TB XRAID.

@Dedi wrote:

I see there NO SHARES but in the explorer I see the (old) folders - which were my shares in the past.

Can you access those folders from explorer?

Perhaps we should move on to the other pair of disks.

Message 22 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I´m a little confused. You wrote: "That is the volume size, which is correct for 3 TB + 6 TB XRAID." But I have TWO 6 TB disks in my NAS. 3 TB was the size of the old disks, which I have changed. (Screenshot)

"Can you access those folders from explorer?" Yes it works fine  and RAIDar shows that everything is ok

Message 23 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Dedi wrote:

But I have TWO 6 TB disks in my NAS. 3 TB was the size of the old disks, which I have changed. (Screenshot)

You didn't say you'd completed both syncs. I thought you still had 3 TB + 6 TB.

Try rebooting the NAS, and see if the volume expands.  It should do another resync (on the unused space).

Message 24 of 26
Dedi
Aspirant

It works!!!!!

Thank you for your help. It was a hard way to change the disks and without your helf .....Smiley Sad

I summarize what I´ve learned:

1. Never ever change a disk if you aren´t VERY SHURE that the synchronisation is ready!

2. Always change the disk, when the NAS is working (hot swapping)!

3. Reboot in case of little errors.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements