× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Changing filename Case? ReadyNAS 424

thebigerns
Aspirant

Changing filename Case? ReadyNAS 424

Firmware 6.9.4

I have a share (SMB/AFS) that is used by MacOS (me) and a Windows 7 user. The Win 7 user can access the drive, create and delete content, change file/folder names but in instances involving changing just the case of a file’s name, the system will not allow it saying he does not have permissions. Is this just weird, or have I missed something? Is it fixable?

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

SMB and Windows are not case sensitive.  I think he is just getting an odd message not really related to permissions.  Windows just assumes that's the problem when the write fails.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Sometimes it helps to change a letter in the name to something else (changing the case as needed for the rest of the name).  Then rename again, changing that letter back.

See if that is successful.

Message 3 of 4
thebigerns
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, I am grateful for your time and effort. I know it seems like a small issue, but still frustrating and distracting for collaboration. I will have to try and test this under Windows 10 maybe. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements