× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Changing to Flex-Raid without RAIDar

SamirD
Prodigy

Changing to Flex-Raid without RAIDar

I have a ReadyNas Ultra 6 running OS4.  I'm wondering if there is any way to change the raid from xrain to flex WITHOUT using RAIDar.  So far it doesn't seem like the required java runtime is on any system I have and I really don't want to have to install it for this one operation.  I have ssh access to my unit.  Any assistance appreciated.

Model: RNDU6000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 6)|READYNAS ULTRA 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

I have a ReadyNas Ultra 6 running OS4.  I'm wondering if there is any way to change the raid from xrain to flex WITHOUT using RAIDar.  So far it doesn't seem like the required java runtime is on any system I have and I really don't want to have to install it for this one operation.  I have ssh access to my unit.  Any assistance appreciated.

RAIDar 4.3.8 is the way I know of to get the older NAS into flexraid.

OS 6 does let you switch after the volume is created (from the admin web ui), so it is much better in that regard.

Message 2 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Thank you for the reply.  That's I guess one reason to upgrade to OS6.  Has anyone done any speed comparisons between os4 and os6 on the exact same hardware/configuration?  If there's a speed improvement too, then that's another reason.

I recently upgraded to 4gb of ram and noticed that even os4 used a chunk of it for caching (saw it viewing top in the ssh during a large copy), so even more ram on this version is helpful.

Still, it would be nice to be able to change some configuration element in the ssh and reboot and then have flexraid options.

Message 3 of 10
AlienBison
Aspirant

@SamirD wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  That's I guess one reason to upgrade to OS6.  Has anyone done any speed comparisons between os4 and os6 on the exact same hardware/configuration?  If there's a speed improvement too, then that's another reason.

I recently upgraded to 4gb of ram and noticed that even os4 used a chunk of it for caching (saw it viewing top in the ssh during a large copy), so even more ram on this version is helpful.

Still, it would be nice to be able to change some configuration element in the ssh and reboot and then have flexraid options.

I'm wondering if there is any way to change the raid from xrain to flex WITHOUT using RAIDar. So far it doesn't seem like the required java runtime is on any system I have and I really don't want to have to install it for this one operation.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@AlienBison wrote:

I'm wondering if there is any way to change the raid from xraid to flex WITHOUT using RAIDar. 

Not that I know of.

Message 5 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

In my single-user situation, I found the speed of the drives to be the limiting factor on both OS4 and OS6, since the Pro is limited to SATA2.  So, the speed was consistent when I switched, which was on OS 6.7.4.  I've gone though many changes since, so cannot do a similar assessment with the current version of OS6.

Message 6 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Thank you!

Message 7 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Thank you for this really great information!  Definitely helps the decision to move to OS6. 🙂

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Another big plus of moving a legacy system to OS6 is that if it fails, you can simply move the volume to a native OS6 machine.  Basically, you get to choose when to do the backup, destroy, restore process instead of having it thrust upon you by a hardware failure.  And while I've found the Pro to be a very solid machine (the power supply a bit less, but they still last a good long while), they are getting old and eventually failure is going to happen.

If you are already doing a factory default, it makes the choice even easier.

Message 9 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Really great additional information!  Thank you!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements