× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circuit on RNDP600E broken heat sink

mikmager
Guide

Circuit on RNDP600E broken heat sink

Hi,

Anyone knows if the heatsink is required on the circuit in the picture? Or what what that circuit does?

See red arrow in picture below.

IMG_2996.jpg

I accidently managed to tear if off when trying to upgrade the RAM.

Years ago I swiched the PSU and the cable too short so it has been stretched all over the motherboard. When removed the cable I broke the heatsink.

Nevermind the colourfol cable, it's for another issue, that I managed to solve with the great help on this forum.

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mikmager wrote:

Anyone knows if the heatsink is required on the circuit in the picture?

Do you still have it?  I knocked one of mine off accidentally on my Pro-6 some years ago.  I got some thermally conductive transfer tape, and put it back on.

Message 2 of 5
mikmager
Guide

Yes I still got it. I'm just curious.

I did try to put it back on with some old paste I got when I purchased cpu fan years ago but it fell off and during that whole process my NAS broke. I managed to get it back together by a usb recovery with some help from this forum.

I don't know what actually happened. I will try to upgrade the RAM again and try to implement one change at a time and see if I break it again or not.

Thermal conductive tape sounds like a good approach though.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

CPU heat sink compound is not a glue.  You can get thermally conductive glue, but it can get messy.  Double-sided adhesive thermal tape/pads are what I recommend, and they are available on eBay pretty cheap.  3M 8810 is what I use.  Make sure you clean both surfaces well.  99% isopropyl alcohol works great. 

That particular heat sink is easily knocked off when replacing a power supply, but can even come loose on its own.  I even bought some suitable replacements, having purchased a used system where it was missing.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

3M 8810 is what I use.  Make sure you clean both surfaces well.  99% isopropyl alcohol works great. 

@mikmager - this is also what I used (not surprising as I asked @Sandshark for advice!)

I purchased pre-cut squares ( 16.51MM-16.51MM ) from Amazon - currently Amazon says they are out-of-stock, but you can find them other places - for example

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements