× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configure Password Reset doesn't work on OS 6.10.1

jimk1963
Luminary

Configure Password Reset doesn't work on OS 6.10.1

Under Admin/System/Settings/Alerts, set up an email service to send alerts. ReadyNAS shows a green check mark and says "Email service to send alerts is configured properly". And I verified receipt of a test message from ReadyNAS to my email. All good.

Next, go to Admin/Accounts/Users, choose the only user there is ("admin"), go to Settings and do the following:

1) Enter my current password

2) "Enable Password Recovery" box lights up - select "Email me new password" and fill in the credentials (password recovery question & answer, and Recovery Email Address which I set to the same email as I did under Alerts as noted above)

ERROR - Failed to set password recovery method. Error in setAdminPasswordRecovery. Code 13002020001

Tried one other idea:  after entering current password, tried creating a new password... that does not work at all, even without trying to configure password recovery. Updating passwords on ReadyNAS is way too complicated. I see users left and right who totally lose connection and have to reinstall the entire OS, yikes.

Lastly, I do have a MyNetgear account, if that matters. 

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 10
jimk1963
Luminary

Bump...

Message 2 of 10
schumaku
Guru

The email address configured for notification is unrelated - except of that this must be configured to submit emails, and it's used to submit password recovery emails, too. Each account has it's own Email address on the records. Check the account properties (Settings), there you find the field marked as "Recovery Email Address".

Note: A ReadyNAS is a multi-user device, each account has it's own email address associated. 

RN Recovery Email Address.PNG

@jimk1963 wrote:

Updating passwords on ReadyNAS is way too complicated. 

Same form shows up when accessing the top right [username] -> Password  ... that's what each user can use to change his password.

From the usability view, would you think that some dedicated URL like a https://[readynas]/password with a simple form would make things easier?

@jimk1963 wrote:

I see users left and right who totally lose connection and have to reinstall the entire OS, yikes..

The only thing Netgear could consider is adding the notification email account to the admin account in case it's undefined - but only during the config of the new email address. Some security minded users or organizations might want to keep it empty.

You can always create more users - these should be used for the NAS shared folder access anyway, grouped according the different access rights requirements, and make e.g. your personal one beyond of the primary group defining the access rights,as a member of the admin group. This will give you most of the admin user capabilities, e.g. in the ReadyNAS Web UI. However, you still can't change the admin (root) account password. When accessing the NAS by SSH, you still must have the root (== admin) account password available. We strongly suggest recording root (admin) password e.g. on a label (sigh, yeah....), or for businesses on paper which are stored on at least two different secured sites/locations. 

Message 3 of 10
jimk1963
Luminary

RE:

The email address configured for notification is unrelated - except of that this must be configured to submit emails, and it's used to submit password recovery emails, too. Each account has it's own Email address on the records. Check the account properties (Settings), there you find the field marked as "Recovery Email Address".

The point of first configuring an alert email under System/Settings, was because there's no way to Configure Password Recovery without pre-registering that email. If you try to go to Admin Properties first to set up PW Recovery, you'll get an error that says "First, you must configure an email to receive alerts", or something to that effect. This is why I first set up the alert email, then went to Admin Properties screen - it's this screen that simply does not work. I fill in Current Password, check the Enable Password Recovery box, fill in the email credentials, type in my alert email (or ANY email, doesn't matter actually), and I get the error message that I posted. Am unclear what is different vs. your explanation here.

Note: A ReadyNAS is a multi-user device, each account has it's own email address associated. 

RN Recovery Email Address.PNG

@jimk1963 wrote:

Updating passwords on ReadyNAS is way too complicated. 

From the usability view, would you think that some dedicated URL like a https://[readynas]/password with a simple form would make things easier?

No - the Admin Properties screen looks easy enough. It just palin doesn't work, period. I am unable to (1) change password using this screen - even though it looks pretty obvious that I should be able to - right? What's the point of this screen otherwise? Second, the Configure Password Recovery portion also does not work, as explained above. Others have reported similar issues. By "complicated", I mean a simple screen like this should just work - but it doesn't. So users (like me) end up scouring the internet for other ways to poke in a new password, which can lead to jumbled admin rights credentials, forcing a complete OS reinstall. 

@jimk1963 wrote:

I see users left and right who totally lose connection and have to reinstall the entire OS, yikes..

The only thing Netgear could consider is adding the notification email account to the admin account in case it's undefined - but only during the config of the new email address. Some security minded users or organizations might want to keep it empty.

Sorry am not understanding this comment. The admin account has an associated email by definition, doesn't it? My admin email (I think???) is simply my MyNetgear logon email. I would LOVE it if the box would simply send a PW Recovery email to that address, just like it does every day for other reasons (status of NAS, etc.). Is there some reason this can't work?

You can always create more users - these should be used for the NAS shared folder access anyway, grouped according the different access rights requirements, and make e.g. your personal one beyond of the primary group defining the access rights,as a member of the admin group. This will give you most of the admin user capabilities, e.g. in the ReadyNAS Web UI. However, you still can't change the admin (root) account password. When accessing the NAS by SSH, you still must have the root (== admin) account password available. We strongly suggest recording root (admin) password e.g. on a label (sigh, yeah....), or for businesses on paper which are stored on at least two different secured sites/locations. 

I don't want to add more users, not required yet. Re: SSH, this also does not work by the way. When you say "root (==admin) account password", does this mean the password I enter when I first try to access the NAS Admin screen? I need clarification on this, because it may be the reason SSH won't connect. For "MyNetgear", I have an email/password combo. That exact same combo is used via the web browser to access the Admin screen of my NAS. For example, open Chrome, type in 192.168.1.210, wait for the Admin access screen to pop up, fill in the MyNetgear credentials, and I'm in. Is there ANY difference between MyNetgear credentials and Admin credentials?

Message 4 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Again: No, the admin account has no email on the record - even if the email notification is set-up. One is an email address bound to each user account, the email notification is system wide and used to submit emails.

Open the Accounts view on your NAS - and you see a table with a single line - for the admin account. Is there an email address in the record or not?

Now after having scratch setup a test system, I must confirm that the admin -> Setting (Properties) form does not work (except for changing the password here). Off that we have to enter the existing password before we can trigger the Email recover item, and enter the question, answer, and email. On apply - bullocks, all data ignored. Must be a newer introduced bug...
Message 5 of 10
jimk1963
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:
Again: No, the admin account has no email on the record - even if the email notification is set-up. One is an email address bound to each user account, the email notification is system wide and used to submit emails.

Open the Accounts view on your NAS - and you see a table with a single line - for the admin account. Is there an email address in the record or not?

Now after having scratch setup a test system, I must confirm that the admin -> Setting (Properties) form does not work (except for changing the password here). Off that we have to enter the existing password before we can trigger the Email recover item, and enter the question, answer, and email. On apply - bullocks, all data ignored. Must be a newer introduced bug...

OK finally getting somewhere, thank you for these posts! First - yes you're right, there is no email next to "admin" in the Accounts view. Is there a way to add an email to the "admin" user? I click on admin/settings but it's just the pop-up box we've been discussing. Or - is it a dumb idea to add an email to admin?

Very glad to hear you reproduced this Configure Password Recovery bug - this was driving me nuts. Looking forward to that fix. In the meantime, it seems I have no password recovery at all - that worries me. 

Message 6 of 10
jimk1963
Luminary

Sorry forgot to add one more thing - you mentioned the update password portion of the Admin Properties screen works. This is not true in my case - I get the same error as reported in the first post on this thread. I did get it to work by manually opening a password recovery web page as noted. The reason all this came about was because SSH would not work - not with Putty, not with Shell in a Box either. Password authentication kept failing, which led me to believe that special characters in my password might have been to blame. So I needed to update the password to try it out. Once I finally got the password changed using the sidebar web page, SSH still didn't work. In the process of doing this I uncovered the issues noted here (updating password not working, Configure Password Recovery not working).

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@OOM-9 I think there are several problems with the admin Properties form. Beyond, I fear that the validation box password.might be allow characters causing issues or prohibit login to root by SSH.

Message 8 of 10
jimk1963
Luminary

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully Netgear will confirm this Admin Properties bug and fix it soon.

Message 9 of 10
Starminder
Guide

It's been over a  month, and I just wasted a bunch of time wrestling with this.  It still doesn't work.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements