× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect to my NAS (RN212) via VNCviewer

maxds
Aspirant

Connect to my NAS (RN212) via VNCviewer

I'd like to connect to my NAS via VNCviewer, and then virtualBox.

I need to know what the user password is, and ideally the root password.

Any ideas ?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connect to my NAS (RN212) via VNCviewer

@maxds wrote:

The question I asked was what is the (likely Linux) username and password

Well, that really isn't the right question, though the answer to that is in the link @schumaku gave you.

The NAS OS only has the remote console installed.  You can use WinSCP or Putty (windows), or terminal (mac) to gain access to the remote console. 

To do what you want, you'd first need to install a package that creates a desktop environment on the NAS (since it doesn't have one).  That package would need to function without any graphics hardware (that is, without a GPU), since the NAS doesn't have that either.  I don't know of any such package, and if there is one the performance would be very slow.

Then you'd need to install a VNCServer package that allows that desktop enviroment to be accessed remotely.  

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I don't know of any way to connect VNCViewer to a ReadyNAS.

Message 2 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Not in any aspect... The RN212 is an ARM processor, and does not have a GPU:

• Lack of a GPU, there is nothing to VNCview.
  • Lack of an x86 CPU, there is no VirtualBox-
Message 3 of 13
maxds
Aspirant

Sorry but what does a GPU have to do with anything ?

VNCserver is a software solution to providing windows like access to a remote (GPUless) generally) server.

The question I ased was what is the (likely Linux) username and password

Message 4 of 13
maxds
Aspirant

All that is needed is the root password

Message 5 of 13
schumaku
Guru

There is no effective or virtual GUI to access without a GPU - so again, nothing to access by VNC, Remote Desktop, TeamViewer, or whatever. These embedded devices have a serial console only, no graphics console.

Same limitations on Windows systems for headless systems - no GUI components can be installed and used, or on the Windows Server 2016 Nano Server.

The root password for ssh shell access is the same as the admin password - the access must be enabled and a support limitation must be accepted
Message 6 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@maxds wrote:

All that is needed is the root password

RT*M ... and here https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@maxds wrote:

The question I asked was what is the (likely Linux) username and password

Well, that really isn't the right question, though the answer to that is in the link @schumaku gave you.

The NAS OS only has the remote console installed.  You can use WinSCP or Putty (windows), or terminal (mac) to gain access to the remote console. 

To do what you want, you'd first need to install a package that creates a desktop environment on the NAS (since it doesn't have one).  That package would need to function without any graphics hardware (that is, without a GPU), since the NAS doesn't have that either.  I don't know of any such package, and if there is one the performance would be very slow.

Then you'd need to install a VNCServer package that allows that desktop enviroment to be accessed remotely.  

Message 8 of 13
maxds
Aspirant

Happy to report that I have vncserver running on my NAS rn212 and have connected to the NAS via a vncview session.

The windows (desktop) performance is more than adequate - the key is not whether or not a GPU exists but the performance of the CPU which is more than capable of rendering a screens worth of pixels.

Thanks for the pointers as to where to get the root and admin password - I'd recommend to everyone that they change their own user defaults by the way. Looks like a scary security risk to me.

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

What linux desktop environment did you install?

@maxds wrote:

Thanks for the pointers as to where to get the root and admin password - I'd recommend to everyone that they change their own user defaults by the way. Looks like a scary security risk to me.

Good advice for any equipment, you should always change the default password.

Message 10 of 13
maxds
Aspirant

Xfce, which has pretty much the smallest footprint.
Suits me for my purposes - I want to write some software, so not interested in graphical tools.

With apt-get I can install all the extras I need.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@maxds wrote:

With apt-get I can install all the extras I need.

Be careful not to fill up the 4 GB OS partition.  Perhaps add your extras into /apps (which is on the data volume).

Message 12 of 13
maxds
Aspirant

Thanks that's a useful tip, missed that entirely

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements