× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting RN212 to Cyber Power CP850AVRLCD UPS

Gord_in_Toronto
Aspirant

Connecting RN212 to Cyber Power CP850AVRLCD UPS

Can I just plug it in?  I don't need any management features from the NAS device.

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connecting RN212 to Cyber Power CP850AVRLCD UPS

As @Sandshark suggests, it's best to connect the USB port in the UPS to one of the NAS USB ports.  The NAS will automatically monitor the UPS, and do a clean shutdown when the battery drains.  There is no need to install any software in the NAS, everything needed is built-in.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Of course you can.  But why would you not want management features from the NAS?  Should a power outage be long enough that the UPS is going to shut down, you really want the NAS to shut down gracefully.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

As @Sandshark suggests, it's best to connect the USB port in the UPS to one of the NAS USB ports.  The NAS will automatically monitor the UPS, and do a clean shutdown when the battery drains.  There is no need to install any software in the NAS, everything needed is built-in.

Message 3 of 6
Gord_in_Toronto
Aspirant

Thanks. 

I'm currently using the Cyber Power POWERPANEL Personal software to shutdown my PC via the USB connection.  I see no obvious way to gracefully shutown both the PC and the NAS..

Gord

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Gord_in_Toronto wrote:

I'm currently using the Cyber Power POWERPANEL Personal software to shutdown my PC via the USB connection.  I see no obvious way to gracefully shutown both the PC and the NAS..

In my experience, it's more important to shut down the NAS cleanly - so if you need to choose, I'd connect the NAS to the USB port.

The NAS uses the Network UPS tools.  There is a beta package available for Windows here: https://networkupstools.org/download.html#_binary_packages 

It is possible to monitor the CyberPower status over the network (through the NAS) - but doing that also requires that any equipment on the network path (switch or router) be protected by the same UPS.

Message 5 of 6
Gord_in_Toronto
Aspirant

Thanks for the additional info and insight.

I'll spend some time trying to make some sense out of this; including looking at package in the link you provided.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements