× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Copying data from ReadyNAS104 to Seagate Innov8

rajamani_v
Aspirant

Copying data from ReadyNAS104 to Seagate Innov8

Hi there,

I am using RN104 with the latest OS.  Have close to 7TB of data, which I am planning to back-up to Seagate Innov8(USB3.1 Gen 2) hard drive. Is there any way to connect the Seagate to ReadyNAS. Or is there a better way to copy the data from RN104 to Seagate Innov8 without much of a manual intervention.

TIA.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series,RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Copying data from ReadyNAS104 to Seagate Innov8

@rajamani_v wrote:

I tried that as well, but the problem is Innov8 cannot get enough power from the ReadyNAS. Hence, it is not recognised in ReadyNAS.

You basically have two options.

One is to find a charger that can act as a power injector (passing through your data connection to the NAS).

The other is to connect the disk to a PC, and to the backup over the network.

The second option is probably easiest.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @rajamani_v

Welcome to the Community!

You can connect your Seagate Innov8 to the USB 3.0 port of your RN104, unfortunately you will not be able to use the Type-C USB, an adapter will be needed (USB Type C femaile to USB 3.0 male)

You can then follow the guide on this link on transferring/backing up files from your ReadyNAS to USB Disk.

Make sure you have enough space on your USB disk so all data will be backed up.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 7
rajamani_v
Aspirant

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your response. 

I tried that as well, but the problem is Innov8 cannot get enough power from the ReadyNAS. Hence, it is not recognised in ReadyNAS.

Regards

Raja

Message 3 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If correct Innov8 is being powered by battery, are you certain it's fully charged?

Also, desktop drives require 12V which was not available directly until the USB 3.1 Type-C specification came about.

ReadyNAS RN104 has USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports which is not enough to power your Seagate Innov8 if this is the case.

You may have to check with the manufacturer why is it not getting any power.

Regards

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@rajamani_v wrote:

You basically have two options.

One is to find a charger that can act as a power injector (passing through your data connection to the NAS).

The other is to connect the disk to a PC, and to the backup over the network.

The second option is probably easiest.

Message 5 of 7
rajamani_v
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I have to go with the second option only. Not sure how many hours/days it's gonna take to back up that amount of data 😞

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@rajamani_v wrote:

Unfortunately, I have to go with the second option only. Not sure how many hours/days it's gonna take to back up that amount of data 😞

You can do incremental backups after the first one - using the file modification date and size as the triggers to update old files.  FreeFileSync is one utility you could look into there.

It's hard to predict the speed - lots of small files will take longer than one larger file for example.  And the Innov8 is an SMR disk - one of the weaknesses inherent to SMR is it's sustained write performance.  But if you are using a wired gigabit connection to the PC, you'll get the same speed over the network that you'd get connecting it directly to the NAS.   It's probably best to back up one share at a time, rather than trying to do everything in one backup run.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements