× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Corrupt root and cannot setup

Ezechias
Aspirant

Corrupt root and cannot setup

Am looking for help to start my NAS again. I am in the stage where I already did a hard factory reset, with the pin at the back. Even that, when I boot, I get "corrupt root" message on RAIDar. Following a reset again, no more corrupt root message and I then proceed wtih setup. But setup does not go through. Chosing XRAID and leaving the NAS to process overnight with a 500GB disk capacity, does not do anything. When I come back in the morning, the NAS is still ON, the disk1 LED is on, but the power button is NOT blue. Frozen ???? Repeating all above steps does not solve the issue and even changing disk and/or disk slot.

The IP stays at 192.168.168.168 and clicking the ADMIN key on RAIDar give me a browser error message as page unreacheabled. Your connection refused.

Any idea ?

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That disk is already partitioned so as a precaution we gave the corrupt root error rather than blindly formatting it. Some users are unaware that the NAS needs to wipe the disks.

A factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) or hooking the disk back up to a PC and deleting the partitions off it would have resolved this.

Seeing that you didn't have any data on the disk I just wiped the partition table off the disk and rebooted the NAS. It should do a brief check of the hard disk, enter a 10 minute countdown and if you haven't chosen the RAID mode using RAIDar (or unplugged the power to abort) by then proceed to wipe the disk, partition it, setup the RAID, install the OS etc.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Try testing the disk in a PC with the vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).  Use the "write zeros" test too (which is useful in determining disk health, and also ensures a clean disk for the NAS).  

If it passes, then try the install again with the zeroed disk.

Message 2 of 10
Ezechias
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I already did all that with two seagate disk. I even bought a new disk, this time a Western Digital, and no luck. Now, am testing with an SSD Kingston, still not working. If I put it on remote support mode, can you access and just set everything to factory default ? Once, it was accessed to activate TEAMING. Though it was working well for 2 years, it suddenly failed on a reboot, with no apparent external factors (no disk or config change). Cooling fan is working well.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Ezechias wrote:

If I put it on remote support mode, can you access and just set everything to factory default ?

Sorry, I don't work for Netgear so I can't do that.

@Ezechias wrote:

Though it was working well for 2 years, it suddenly failed on a reboot, with no apparent external factors (no disk or config change). Cooling fan is working well.

The warranty is 3 years on the ultra, so you should check on the warranty status right away.

Message 4 of 10
Ezechias
Aspirant

I was able to telnet in under Tech Mode. From there, I have no idea what to do.

# ls

1             4             7             crypto        mounts

10            411           719           devices       mpt

11            476           720           diskstats     net

12            478           726           dma           pagetypeinfo

13            494           728           driver        partitions

14            510           729           execdomains   scsi

15            527           736           filesystems   self

16            577           760           fs            slabinfo

166           6             765           interrupts    softirqs

168           603           766           iomem         stat

17            606           782           ioports       swaps

170           609           784           irq           sys

171           612           786           kallsyms      sysvipc

172           615           8             key-users     timer_list

173           616           9             kmsg          tty

2             623           acpi          loadavg       uptime

267           686           buddyinfo     locks         version

274           689           bus           mdstat        vmallocinfo

3             690           cgroups       meminfo       vmstat

372           691           cmdline       misc          zoneinfo

373           694           cpuinfo       modules

# cat version

Linux version 2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.4 (jmaggard@calzone) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP Thu May 28 16:29:46 PDT 2015

Are there some commands that I can type in to get things back up. The NAS is just sitting on my desk doing nothing, and it's brand new (from a warranty exchange).

Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The firmware on the flash was corrupt. This is now fixed.

Message 6 of 10
Ezechias
Aspirant

Hi, I rebooted the NAS and inserted a blank HDD. I still get the corrupt root message from raidar.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cww4kl03kxvszjw/Screenshot%202016-08-24%2021.37.36.png?dl=0

I have again set it to tech mode with same code I gave you earlier. I will leave it overnight if you would like to access.

Thanks again for the help.

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That disk is already partitioned so as a precaution we gave the corrupt root error rather than blindly formatting it. Some users are unaware that the NAS needs to wipe the disks.

A factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) or hooking the disk back up to a PC and deleting the partitions off it would have resolved this.

Seeing that you didn't have any data on the disk I just wiped the partition table off the disk and rebooted the NAS. It should do a brief check of the hard disk, enter a 10 minute countdown and if you haven't chosen the RAID mode using RAIDar (or unplugged the power to abort) by then proceed to wipe the disk, partition it, setup the RAID, install the OS etc.

Message 8 of 10
Ezechias
Aspirant

I now have access to the admin page and the status is showing "healthy". All services seems to be restored, though I haven't started copying data back onto the disks. Thank you very much for the help. Solved !

Message 9 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Ezechias,

Thank you letting us know that it is now resolved.

Please feel free to post any suggestions, comments or questions. We appreciate your contribution to the community!

Regards,

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements