× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Create a new volume: Best practice?

eton
Luminary

Create a new volume: Best practice?

Should quota be used?

Create default shares does not create any shares on new volume. Why? Bug?

https://i.imgur.com/eHH62vv.jpg 

Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@eton

Here's a good KB on Quota https://kb.netgear.com/29891/ReadyNAS-OS-6-4-Share-quota

Are you saying there are no default shares (Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures) present after creating the volume? even when the option is checked?

Message 2 of 7
eton
Luminary

1. Quota on volume?

I still don't understand why there is a quota setting on the volume.

The KB article describes quotas on shares.

Will quotas on shares only work if the volume has the quotas setting marked?

There is also no size limit on quota for volume, only for shares.

2. Default shares?

After recreating the volume for the 4:time the default shares appeared. I have no clue what's going on here. Just for the record: I haven't created any users yet.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@eton wrote:

I still don't understand why there is a quota setting on the volume.

Space usage in BTRFS is a slippery concept, and turning on quota for the volume tells the file system to track it more accurately.  So the setting has a non-intuitive name (unfortunately inherited from the BTRFS folks).

Even if you don't use quotas to limit disk space on any shares, it's helpful fo enable quota on the volume.  Without it, you won't see the space used by snapshots or even the space used by each share.  You can change it at any time, so if you can try it after you get data loaded onto the NAS.  Just look at the shares page, and compare what you see when Quota on and off.

@eton wrote:

2. Default shares?

After recreating the volume for the 4:time the default shares appeared. 

Are you talking about Pictures, Documents, etc?  Or are you talking about something else?

If you destroy and recreate a volume, the system won't recreate the default shares (Picture, Documents, etc).  It will after a factory default.  There's nothing special about those shares - you can delete the ones you don't care about, and create them manually when you recreate a volume.

Message 4 of 7
eton
Luminary

Thanks @StephenB 

Sounds like it's better to leave quota on even for volumes.

Ok, nothing to worry about then.

3. Follow up question

Is BTRFS default on ReadyNAS 6 for X-RAID and Flex-RAID?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@eton wrote:

Is BTRFS default on ReadyNAS 6 for X-RAID and Flex-RAID?

Yes - in fact it is the only option you have.

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Space usage in BTRFS is a slippery concept, and turning on quota for the volume tells the file system to track it more accurately.  So the setting has a non-intuitive name (unfortunately inherited from the BTRFS folks).

I just want to emphasize that it's "more accurate".  I moved a backup from one NAS to another for some load-leveling of my backups.  Before I deleted the original backup, I had the same share on three NAS, the main one and two backups, each showing slightly different useage.  Yet a Windows Properties inquiry verified all had the same space useage and number of files.

Not really completely germane to your question, but for the benefit of all.  Don't use the reported use as gospel. But it's better than nothing.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements