× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Data Share Folder Hidden but seen in Root

ryanku
Aspirant

Data Share Folder Hidden but seen in Root

I can map to the Data folder - its shared. But Unable to un-hide within the readynas admin page. Reset admin password, checked every settings SMB and file search. ty!

dataroot.png

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Data Share Folder Hidden but seen in Root

@ryanku wrote:

I can map to the Data folder - its shared. But Unable to un-hide within the readynas admin page. Reset admin password, checked every settings SMB and file search. ty!

You are seeing the Data folder because you are accessing the NAS using the NAS admin credentials when you use File Explorer or Finder.  That is also why you are seeing the Home Folders.

The way to fix it is to create a different user account on the NAS, and use its credentials instead.

BTW, if you don't use the Home (private) folder feature, you can disable SMB on the home folder in NAS web UI.  Then you won't see the private folders.

Message 2 of 6
ryanku
Aspirant

That part I understand. I've seen your other posts/replies about that. My question is, the data folder itself is inherently the default root folder that cannot be changed? Or this this something that can be 'hidden', edited?

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

data is the default volume, so it cannot be changed.  Well, I did post a very complicated process for changing it via SSH, but I don't recommend you try it unless you have a very compelling reason.  Even then, deleting it, creating a new one, and restoring data from backup is a better solution for most.

Message 4 of 6
katyanick12
Initiate

Check the folder permissions. If I understand correctly, the DFSRoots folder is empty when you access it locally on the namespace server (DFS root server). However, the folders (links) are visible if you access the namespace by using DFS share path, such as \\domain.com\dfsroot.
Please help check the following:
1. Do all namespace server encounter the issue?
2. Do the DFS objects exist in AD domain partition? You can verify it by using adsiedit.msc, then navigate to Default naming context\CN=System\CN=Dfs-Configuration  
3. Does AD replication work properly in the domain?

Thanks. I hope it will help you. 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

data is the default volume, so it cannot be changed.  

And even if you did rename it, it would still show up as the root when access the NAS with admin credentials.  

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements