× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Data transfer NV+ (V1) - Ultra 6 Plus

AndrewL1963
Aspirant

Data transfer NV+ (V1) - Ultra 6 Plus

Hi All.
I am a home user and have had a NV+ for about 6 years now (and absolutely love it) but given the 2TB limitation of HDD's for this NAS and the fact that its almost full I have decided its time to upgrade. I have pretty much locked in the Ultra 6 Plus and was wanting to know what the process was for getting all my data from one unit onto the other. I'm not an advanced user so be gentle with me please. The NV+ has 4x 1.5TB at the mo and I have yet to decide on what drives for the Ultra. All advice greatfully accepted. Cheers
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Data transfer NV+ (V1) - Ultra 6 Plus

The simplest thing is to get the ultra, and then user frontview backup to copy the data over your network. Though if you don't have a gigabit ethernet setup, you should get an gigabit switch (or replace your router with a gigabit router) as part of the upgrade.

Western Digital's new "red" drive line is a good choice, it is certified for NAS use by both Netgear and WD. I suggest getting 3 TB drives (3 3TB drives would give you 6 TB of storage, compared to the 4.5 TB you have now. That gives you 3 slots for further expansion).

You can continue to use your current NAS as a way to backup up your most critical data from the ultra.
Message 2 of 13
AndrewL1963
Aspirant

Thanks for that Stephen. Even I should be able to follow those instructions. I already have a gigabit network that I have run through the house so that parts fine. From what I read here on the forums and based on my use, the Ultra Plus is the right choice, (at most only 4 of use would be on the network at once and there is no need for trancoding on the fly).

What about the Seagate barracuda HDD? I know one company owns the others but the manurfacturing is still done independently. The Nv+ has only ever been populated with Seagates and I've never had an issue. I ask as there is an ST3000DM001 that keeps coming up at $50 cheaper than the WD per unit.

Again thanks for the advice.
Message 3 of 13
kcrossley
Aspirant

Hey Andrew, may I ask what kind of data transfer speeds you were getting out of your NV+?
Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

AndrewL1963 wrote:
What about the Seagate barracuda HDD? I know one company owns the others but the manurfacturing is still done independently. The Nv+ has only ever been populated with Seagates and I've never had an issue. I ask as there is an ST3000DM001 that keeps coming up at $50 cheaper than the WD per unit.
I have two ST32000542AS in my duo v1 which are working out well.

I had quite a few ST31500341AS for a while, and still have 2 in my pro. Though my failure rate with that model was much too high.

Anyway, though the RED drives are new, they have one potentially huge benefit - both WD and Netgear have certified that they work with the NAS.

There are other drives which Netgear has qualified, but the manufacturer says they are not designed for RAID. If they cause problems it can be hard to get support from the manufacturer. Barracuda is not in that category (Seagate describes them as "perfect" for building a NAS). However, there are several negative posts here on the ST3000DM001, you probably should search them out. There are apparently several variants, and some issues with the drive firmware. I don't have any of those drives, so I have no personal experience.
Message 5 of 13
AndrewL1963
Aspirant

kcrossley wrote:
Hey Andrew, may I ask what kind of data transfer speeds you were getting out of your NV+?

Hi. Have never had an issue so have never needed to measure the speeds. When I purchased the unit about 5-6 years ago(pre Netgear branding) it was used on a wireless network and really only for storing movies on and use on a tv 30mts away, but two double brick walls between router and media centre meant that it was fair to ok. (Back then with a couple of HDD it was well over 2K).

In this house with both wireless and gigabit networks, maxed out ram on the NV+, running to a WD live box and in a timber construction home, I can watch 1080P in the living room (Ethernet) while the daughter is watching Gilmore Girls re-runs in her bedroom (Wireless) with no issue at all.

The only discernble difference I can see, and maybe it's just me, is that now I am getting close to full on the HDD's is seems to take a little while longer to transfer large files onto the Nas than its did in the begining.
Message 6 of 13
AndrewL1963
Aspirant

Thanks again Stephen. Seems to me after reading up that for the $50 extra, the WD Red drives you've recommended would be the safest bet. While its not used to run a business, the data is still "valuable" to me and I would be devastated if I lost it because of a choice to save money over buying a quality product.
Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If important data is primarily stored on the NAS you should backup that data regularly regardless of what disks you purchase. RAID is not a replacement for backups.
Message 8 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

AndrewL1963 - one thing many of us do once we upgrade to a faster NAS is wonder what to do with our old still functional friend. The answer is simple - make it your overnight backup device. While it is obvious that an NV+ cannot backup all the data on a maxed out 6 bay NAS, it can back up the critical and important information. You will get experience in the backup process when you use it to copy the data from the NV+ to the Ultra, so it will be relatively easy to just reverse the process so the Ultra becomes the primary and the NV+ is the backup target. Some consider selling the older units, but for what you can get for them, to me they are more valuable in a backup mode.

I have been in this situation for over two years now, knowing that my critical/important data is backed up automatically every night. I used to try to back up to an external drive at least once a week, but I wasn't always as timely as I liked. I have discovered that there is another benefit when I once really messed up a file and wanted to start over. I simply deleted the messed up file, copied it back from the backup to the primary and started over. Never fall into the trap of working on a file on the backup in that situation. Many have discovered, including some IT pros that should know better, that when you mess up the backup file, you are up that famous unsanitary tributary without visible means of locomotion.
Message 9 of 13
AndrewL1963
Aspirant

Thanks PapaBear. What you suggest makes good sence. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the NV+ but knew if I tried to sell it I would not get a great deal for it.
Message 10 of 13
Chappy_Oz
Aspirant

Hi all,
Newbie here. I have a ReadyNAS RND2000 with 2x 3TB Seagate 7200 RPM drives in it configured . Could I simply transfer them into a 4-bay ReadyNAS unit and would they continue to work as a mirror?
I was then hoping to add more drives to the 4-bay
Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

If you get an NV+ v2, that will work (both the migration and the future expansion).

The platform (x86, sparc, arm) has to match - if you attempted to do this with a v1, ultra, or pro, then the disks would be wiped.
Message 12 of 13
Chappy_Oz
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB for the quick response.
Will let you know how I get on.
Impressed so far with the Netgear quality and quality of these forums. That's what led me to purchase Netgear over other brands...
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements