× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dead Drive when swapping ReadyNAS

Batman-007
Follower

Dead Drive when swapping ReadyNAS

I have a REadyNAS Ultra drive (4disc <2x3TB, 2x2TB>) and a RNDP6000 (6disc <4x4TB>).

I had transfered all data from the 4 disc to the 6 disc.

Removed the 2x3TB from the 4disc (power off before removing) and inserted into the 6 disc making it 4x4TB and 2x3TB.

When turing it on it did not recognise the new discs.

Using the admin, I formated the 2x3TB drives in the new ReadyNAS.

It system then advised the drives had to be of equal or larger size.

Confused I removed the drives and put them back in the 4disc and the unit said the 2x3TB drives were dead.

I applied a new volume and formated the drives by connecting directly to a PC, but this did not make and difference.

What do I need to do to make the drives work in the 4 disc again, noting there is no data to loose?

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Dead Drive when swapping ReadyNAS

The drives were not dead, the volume was.  When you formatted them in the 6-bay NAS and they were the wrong size, it couldn't create a proper volume.  But the 6-bay saw what had been done and recognized an improper configuration rather than blank drives, and it called that a dead volume.  Formatting in a Windows PC isn't what you need to do.  You could remove all partitioning using a Windows PC.  But as @StephenB says, at this point a factory default is the better approach.  If you are going to do that and have not converted the NAS to OS6, now is the time you should make that decision.  I personally think that the viability of an OS4.x NAS is going to be cut short before too long because the protocols used are going to be eliminated, not just depreciated, from Windows and browsers, so you should do it even though you give up Netgear support.

Unfortunately, the steps you did to use all the drives were wrong.  You need to put all the data on the 4 drives, then move just them (with power off) to the 6-bay, then add the other drives.  Even with OS6, the new drives need to me the same size or larger than the old.  Well, there are some specific exceptions, but don't count on those. Note that the new drives will require two syncs for the first and three for the second when added to the initial 3.  If you do update the 4-bay to OS6, you'll need to do the same with the 6-bay before moving the drives.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Batman-007 wrote:

I applied a new volume and formated the drives by connecting directly to a PC, but this did not make and difference.

What do I need to do to make the drives work in the 4 disc again, noting there is no data to loose?

At this point I'd probably just do a factory default with all the disks in place.  You can do that either from the boot menu, or from the web ui.

Are your NAS running 4.2.x firmware, or have you converted them to run OS-6?

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

The drives were not dead, the volume was.  When you formatted them in the 6-bay NAS and they were the wrong size, it couldn't create a proper volume.  But the 6-bay saw what had been done and recognized an improper configuration rather than blank drives, and it called that a dead volume.  Formatting in a Windows PC isn't what you need to do.  You could remove all partitioning using a Windows PC.  But as @StephenB says, at this point a factory default is the better approach.  If you are going to do that and have not converted the NAS to OS6, now is the time you should make that decision.  I personally think that the viability of an OS4.x NAS is going to be cut short before too long because the protocols used are going to be eliminated, not just depreciated, from Windows and browsers, so you should do it even though you give up Netgear support.

Unfortunately, the steps you did to use all the drives were wrong.  You need to put all the data on the 4 drives, then move just them (with power off) to the 6-bay, then add the other drives.  Even with OS6, the new drives need to me the same size or larger than the old.  Well, there are some specific exceptions, but don't count on those. Note that the new drives will require two syncs for the first and three for the second when added to the initial 3.  If you do update the 4-bay to OS6, you'll need to do the same with the 6-bay before moving the drives.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements