× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dead Ethernet Port on NV+ v1

dartmanx
Aspirant

Dead Ethernet Port on NV+ v1

A power surge a few nights back fried the ethernet port on my NV+ v1. Since the NV+ v2 is a different archetecture, I can't just buy a diskless one and swap the drives.

Question 1: Does Netgear offer a repair service? I purchased this at a garage sale, so I have no idea when it was originally purchased, so I don't know about warranty.

Question 2: Since I can't connect with RAIDAR, do I have any other options for retriving my data? I only have a laptop, so I don't have a box I can throw the disks into.

Help is greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Dead Ethernet Port on NV+ v1

Q1. Damage caused by power surges would not be covered under warranty. Time to get a new unit.
Q2. You could try putting the drives in USB enclosures and attempting to recover the data using Linux: Mounting Sparc-based ReadyNAS Drives in x86-based Linux
Message 2 of 5
dartmanx
Aspirant

I understand that it's not under warranty. However, if I can PAY to have it fixed by Netgear, I can compare the cost to getting a new one, especially for insurance purposes.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is not the kind of problem that can be fixed easily. I think the NIC is soldered on. Not to mention that the power surge could have done more damage to the unit. You're not going to be able to pay to get it fixed.
Message 4 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

Your only hope is to find a reasonable price on another used one, or purchase a new one. Newegg has them for $250 at the current time (without disks). If the NV+ (v1) has been serving you well, this may be a good option (if you are in the U.S.) as it will have a new 3 year warranty.

Member CheezHead posted a while back that he had a number of NV+ units for sale without disks or trays. You may want to send him a PM. Here is the discussion with his post: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=59369&p=333703#p333703.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements