× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dead NAS??

PatrickMTR
Aspirant

Dead NAS??

I have had a ReadyNas NV+ for about 12 years now. I only use it on my local network as a central location for media, personal files, etc. Yesterday I noticed it was off. I tried turning it back on, resetting, etc. and no response whatsoever. Seems like it isn't getting any power...

I was wondering if I were to purchase a NETGEAR ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay unit and put my old drives in it, would they be recognized? The drives are all WD Red 1.0TB. Thankfully I do have a recent backup of most of the data, but there are a couple files that are not backed up that I would like to retrieve.

Any other suggestions to "revive" my NV+?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Dead NAS??

Hi @PatrickMTR

Welcome to the Community!

Your NV+ might have a busted Power Supply and replacing the PSU might not be the best idea anymore. Upgrading to RN424 and recovering your data from your old disks using the new unit is possible. You will have to follow a few steps provided on this link and contact Support for assistance, Please do note that you may have to purchase a Data Recovery contract for this procedure.

However, if you have a full backup of your data then transferring it to the RN424 is the easiest way here. If you plan to revive your NV+ you might want to find a similar model being sold online then transfer your disks to it.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @PatrickMTR

Welcome to the Community!

Your NV+ might have a busted Power Supply and replacing the PSU might not be the best idea anymore. Upgrading to RN424 and recovering your data from your old disks using the new unit is possible. You will have to follow a few steps provided on this link and contact Support for assistance, Please do note that you may have to purchase a Data Recovery contract for this procedure.

However, if you have a full backup of your data then transferring it to the RN424 is the easiest way here. If you plan to revive your NV+ you might want to find a similar model being sold online then transfer your disks to it.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

If you plan to revive your NV+ you might want to find a similar model being sold online then transfer your disks to it.

If you see one for a suitable price, that is an option.  A couple of others...

You can of course replace the PSU.  If you use a generic one, you would need to modify the pinout.  There are some already-modified ones out there also - I'm seeing one on Ebay for ~$65 USD at the moment.

If you can connect the disks to a PC (either SATA or with USB adapters/docks) there are a couple of other options to recover your data.  If you can boot the PC with linux, you can mount the array manually and offload data.  This is free (unless you need to purchase USB adapters), but requires some linux skills.  You could also try R-Studio ( https://www.r-studio.com/ ).  If that sees your files, you'd need to purchase it to recover them ($79).

Message 3 of 5
PatrickMTR
Aspirant

Thans for the tips!! I will checkout a local PC repair shop tp see if they can swap out the PSU for me, depending on the cost for that, I will maybe look at the other options suggested.

Cheers,

Patrick

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@PatrickMTR wrote:

Thans for the tips!! I will checkout a local PC repair shop tp see if they can swap out the PSU for me, depending on the cost for that, I will maybe look at the other options suggested.

Cheers,

Patrick

The NV+ uses a non-standard pinout.  Make sure you give them this diagram!  http://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf

They wouldn't need it if they use a pre-modified supply, but if you are paying them anyway it would be cheaper for them to get a stock supply and make the needed modificatoin.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements