× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Debian Buster or Stretch on ReadyNAS OS

a_carneiro
Tutor

Debian Buster or Stretch on ReadyNAS OS

Dear community

I need to install Docker on my new ReadyNAS 2304. The addon exists on the Available Apps but it fails to install, and I suspect this is due to Docker requiring Debian Stretch or newer and ReadyNAS OS still being based on Jessie.

Is there any version of ReadyNAS OS based on a more recent release of Debian than Jessie? If so, how can I get a hold of it?

If not, does anyone know whether a newer version of Debian is on the roadmap, and when it might be expected to land?

Thankl you in advance for your input 🙂

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Debian Buster or Stretch on ReadyNAS OS

You will need to download the OS 6.9.6 file from here: ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-9-6-Long-term-support-version-of-6-10-2 .

Unzip the .img file and open it with a hex editor, and you will see the version number near the top.  You need to change that so that it's higher than the version you now have, and nothing more.  Otherwise, the NAS will reject it as being a downgrade or invalid.  I don't know if you can change the 6.9.6 to 7.9.6 or not.  I changed it to 6.10.5 when I did it.  But, that adds a character, so you also need to remove a blank after the header.  To make sure you've done it right, go down to 0x4000 and verify that csums.md5 begins precisely at that location.

Now, just use the file you created to perform a local update.  Once it's complete, use the boot menu or GUI (if you can get to it) to do a Factory Default.. If the NAS rejects the file, then you did something wrong in the editing.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

There is no newer version, and Netgear does not normally divulge it's roadmap.

But I suspect you have mis-diagnosed your problem.  There should be no ReadyNAS specific App that requires higher than Jessie.  More likely, the app is not compatible with your later (I assume 6.10.3) version of the OS.  If a newer version of the app is not available, it is possible to downgrade your NAS to an earlier version (I'd suggest 6.9.6), but it takes some forcing by using a hex editor on the firmware file.  Since downgrading beond the first decimal place is not recommended by Netgear, you would be best off doing a Factory Default after the downgrade.

If you want to proceed (at your own risk) with the downgrade, leave a follow-up message and I'll explain how.  Or seach the forum, as I recently helped somebody else do the same.

Message 2 of 7
a_carneiro
Tutor

Hah! Very interesting! I just assumed it had been an issue with the latest version of Docker.

Yes, please. My ReadyNAS is pretty much brand new so have very little to lose by downgrading it.

Would you kindly be able to guide me?

Thankl you 🙂

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

You will need to download the OS 6.9.6 file from here: ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-9-6-Long-term-support-version-of-6-10-2 .

Unzip the .img file and open it with a hex editor, and you will see the version number near the top.  You need to change that so that it's higher than the version you now have, and nothing more.  Otherwise, the NAS will reject it as being a downgrade or invalid.  I don't know if you can change the 6.9.6 to 7.9.6 or not.  I changed it to 6.10.5 when I did it.  But, that adds a character, so you also need to remove a blank after the header.  To make sure you've done it right, go down to 0x4000 and verify that csums.md5 begins precisely at that location.

Now, just use the file you created to perform a local update.  Once it's complete, use the boot menu or GUI (if you can get to it) to do a Factory Default.. If the NAS rejects the file, then you did something wrong in the editing.

Message 4 of 7
a_carneiro
Tutor

Fantastic, I'll give it a go.

Thank you very much! 😄

Message 5 of 7
a_carneiro
Tutor

You're an absolute star, @Sandshark 

The downgrade went perfectly and Docker has been successfully installed.

Thank you so much! 😄

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

You are welcome.  Little victories add up to a lot, especially ones like this that the Netgear mods are probably not allowed to suggest.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements