× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Deciding on a NAS

aza9999
Aspirant

Deciding on a NAS

I'm looking at the Duo V2 and the Ultra 2 so far.

My needs are pretty basic, i intend to run them in a raid 1 (mirrored) type setup for extra data safety and have it perform scheduled backups (probably weekly). All important data will also be backed up on my computer, so that should effectively mean 3 hard drives with the critical data.

I have a WDTV Live that i want to stream media files to. It shouldnt need to do any transcoding since the WDTV plays most formats i use already.

I want my relatives to be able to have remote access to specific folders i will create for uploading and downloading family photos and movies, but not the whole drive.

Remote access (via internet when away from home, not wifi) to pdfs from my android phone (not essential, but definitely a plus)

Good support for torrent addons that can monitor RSS feeds and have auto-downloads setup for that feed.

My main point against the Duo V2 from what i've seen is since it is ARM there appears to be almost no addons available. I am wondering though, if as time goes on more addons will be added and whether some of the features missing from Duo V2 compared to V1 will be reinstated?
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Deciding on a NAS

aza9999 wrote:

My main point against the Duo V2 from what i've seen is since it is ARM there appears to be almost no addons available. I am wondering though, if as time goes on more addons will be added

Probably, though some software is provided as x86 binary so can't be ported to ARM.
aza9999 wrote:

and whether some of the features missing from Duo V2 compared to V1 will be reinstated?

Some will be. However if you need features missing from the Duo v2, I'd go with the Ultra 2. If your budget stretches to get the Ultra 2 I'd get that anyway.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements