× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Deleting volume on RN104 fails with Code:14004030000

ednorms
Aspirant

Deleting volume on RN104 fails with Code:14004030000

Hi,

Greetings to the Community.  Just need some help on deleting volumes. I am trying to remove the 3Tb disks on my old RN104 4-bay system, and replacing them all with 4Tb disks.  I have removed all data on the NAS, and so proceeded to delete the volume via DESTROY. However, the delete volume operation fails with Code:14004030000, which seems to be "Cannot delete volume while ReadyNAS Vault is using it. Error in volume deletion.".  I do not recall having activated ReadyNAS vault. I checked the CLOUD tab in the admin page, and ReadyNAS Vault is in OFF.

Is there any other way to go about it. Will it be safer to just do a factory reset and replace all the disks from scratch?   My current firmware is at 6.10.2 when last i updated.

Hope you can help advise me. Thanks!

regards - Ed

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
ednorms
Aspirant

Re: Deleting volume on RN104 fails with Code:14004030000

Hi,

Thanks for the advise.I will do just that. I've had this machine for more than 5 years now, and a disk failed a couple of months back. Unfortunately, i could not find a similar drive with the same capacity from the same vendor. I tried adding another 3Tb drive from a different vendor but it keeps failing to sync.  Anyway, all remaning 3Tb drives are of the same age so I thought it's probably high time to replace all of them, that's why I moved off all the data. Also, I can load them with new 4Tb drives too. I sure hope i can continue to use the machine for a few more years. Thanks also for reminder to wipe off the old disks. 

regards

Ed

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ednorms wrote:

I have removed all data on the NAS, and so proceeded to delete the volume via DESTROY.

I don't understand why you did this (though of course it should have worked).

@ednorms wrote:

Will it be safer to just do a factory reset and replace all the disks from scratch?  

Certainly simpler, but still more than necessary.   Just power down, and insert the new disks.  Power up, and the system will automatically do a factory install if the disks are blank.   (If the new disks are formatted, then you do need to use the boot menu to start the factory default). After configuring the NAS, restore the data from backup.

If you want to wipe the old disks, I suggest zeroing them in a PC (connecting with either a USB adapter/dock or SATA).  Both Western Digital's Lifeguard and Seagate's Seatools utilities can be used for this.  Destroying a volume (or doing a factory reset) isn't as effective.

Message 2 of 3
ednorms
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the advise.I will do just that. I've had this machine for more than 5 years now, and a disk failed a couple of months back. Unfortunately, i could not find a similar drive with the same capacity from the same vendor. I tried adding another 3Tb drive from a different vendor but it keeps failing to sync.  Anyway, all remaning 3Tb drives are of the same age so I thought it's probably high time to replace all of them, that's why I moved off all the data. Also, I can load them with new 4Tb drives too. I sure hope i can continue to use the machine for a few more years. Thanks also for reminder to wipe off the old disks. 

regards

Ed

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements