× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Did I just waste 200 on a non-compatible drive?

JustKJ
Aspirant

Did I just waste 200 on a non-compatible drive?

So my ReadyNAS 314 is getting full.  I have 4 x 3TB drives and 20% of the room remaining.  I checked the Hardware compatibility list for the 314 and found a 6TB Seagate drive on the list ST6000VN004 (see attached file) and purchase it. 

Compat List entry.png

IMG_5294.JPG

It arrives.  I open my ReadyNAS and hot-pulled drive 1.  Remove it from the mount, unpacked the new drive and it DOES NOT FIT! 

The current drive has three mount points (bolt holes) on each side--one near each end and one near the middle  The new just has two--one near each end, NO MIDDLE. The plastic bulges out where there is no hole for it to seat in, that make it very difficult to slide back into the mount.  When you do, it makes the mount bow out to much to slide into the device.

So 2 questions :

1. am i screwed (usually your cannot return a drive that you open the anti static plastic) or can I snip off the center plastic mount head and still use the drive.

2, the drive showed has degraded, but i slid the original drive back in and it appears to fine and the status is back to redundant Can I rely on that? is my data safe?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

On the fit- you need to remove the plastic insert if the drive doesn't have a center side mounting hole.  Newer trays will have aligning holes that cover all the standard mounting positions.  Older trays won't have holes in the new "alternative mount points" that many large-capacity drives use.  That said, you can still use the drives if you have two mounting slots that are aligned.  Or if you have a suitable drill press, you could add additional mounting holes to the bottom of the trays.

On the return - the details there depend on the seller, so you should enquire there on whether you can exchange the drive for a different model.  Some will simply allow it, others might charge a restocking fee.  I have done no-questions-asked returns/exchanges with Amazon.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
JustKJ
Aspirant

My questions have been answered.  I am posting a new issue in a seperate topic.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

On the fit- you need to remove the plastic insert if the drive doesn't have a center side mounting hole.  Newer trays will have aligning holes that cover all the standard mounting positions.  Older trays won't have holes in the new "alternative mount points" that many large-capacity drives use.  That said, you can still use the drives if you have two mounting slots that are aligned.  Or if you have a suitable drill press, you could add additional mounting holes to the bottom of the trays.

On the return - the details there depend on the seller, so you should enquire there on whether you can exchange the drive for a different model.  Some will simply allow it, others might charge a restocking fee.  I have done no-questions-asked returns/exchanges with Amazon.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements