× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Did firmware 6.9.4 HF1 introduce any changes in file permissions / user accounts?

a4ex
Aspirant

Did firmware 6.9.4 HF1 introduce any changes in file permissions / user accounts?

Hello,

I normally use operate my readyNAS through SMB and i have setup a specific user to do so.

Yesterday i tried to delete some files and i realized that i didn't had the correct privileges to do so. I hadn't tried to delete any files some some time now, so i don't know when exactly this issue occurred.

Then I tried to SSH to that specific user, and it wouldn't let me, after inserting the password my session would terminate.

I eventually overcome this by enabling "Allow shell access" in "Accounts" menu for that specific user. I cant remember this setting before, and I'm 100% sure this account had shell access. Was this recently introduced?

Still though I cant delete any files, even if the folder i'm trying to delete has "RW" set up in permissions for "Everyone" and the specific user.

I will try not to re-apply the permissions to the head folder and check if that makes any difference.

You see my RN102 is setup and working unattended, and i was a bit surprised

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
a4ex
Aspirant

Re: Did firmware 6.9.4 HF1 introduce any changes in file permissions / user accounts?

The user belongs to group "users" and i have additionally added him in group "admin"

The folder i'm trying to delete has the following

drwxr-xr-x+ 1 admin    users  250 May  8  2018

and the file with in

-rw-r--r--+ 1 admin admin

It's a bit messed up, I would say 🙂 my fault.

But i cant understand why until now connected from SMB was working.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You can resolve this by resetting the file permissions for the share (click on the settings wheel for the share, then select  "file access" and then click on the reset control).

Or delete the folder (or file) from the admin web ui.

Message 3 of 5
a4ex
Aspirant

You are absolutely right, and actually is what i did to resolve it, but i cant understand the sudden change. It was working, and I haven't performed any changes in the RN for months.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

This could have been something done from Windows - for instance accidentally accessing the NAS with file explorer using NAS admin credentials.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements