× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disabling RAID on ReadyNas Duo

Jackbms
Follower

Disabling RAID on ReadyNas Duo

Hello All

My ReadyNas Duo has 2 hard drive and I want to disable RAID as I don't need it.

Is it possible?

Is there a step by step guide avaialble?

Thanks for the help

Jack

Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Disabling RAID on ReadyNas Duo

Just to be clear:  You have two current drives in RAID that you want to convert to some other configuration, or you currently have one drive and you want to make sure a second is used independently, not in RAID?  And you have the original Duo, or a DuoV2?

Neither of the above conversions is directly supported in the GUI -- you must choose between XRAID (which always uses a second drive as RAID) or FlexRAID (which gives you options) at the time you initially create the volume.  OS6 added a switch to the GUI, but earlier OSes did not have that option.  Neither provides a method to "un-RAID" and keep the data.

So, the "approved" way is to back up the data, destroy the volume, and create a new FlexRAID one.  But perhaps somebody has discovered a "back door" way to change that via SSH in the older versions as I have posted for OS6.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disabling RAID on ReadyNas Duo

@Sandshark wrote:

So, the "approved" way is to back up the data, destroy the volume, and create a new FlexRAID one.  But perhaps somebody has discovered a "back door" way to change that via SSH in the older versions as I have posted for OS6.

Actually with the Duos (both v1 and v2) you need to do a factory reset.  There's a 5-10 minute countdown after the reset when you can switch to flexraid using RAIDar 4.3.8. ( https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar )  The reset will also destroy your ability to connect with https (whether you use the add-on for the v2 or modifying virtual.conf).  So you'd need to have an old browser already at hand - either internet explorer, or an old version of firefox.

So really messy.  If you need more capacity it might be time to get a new NAS.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements