× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disc to Readynas 524

fondy
Tutor

Disc to Readynas 524

Hi all

I have a Readynas Ultra 4 and  four Seagate st2000dl003-9vt166 2TB discs and I am using it at home for backing up my photos and other thing. The Ultra and Seagate discs are almost 10 years now and they are still working.

Today I have ordered the Readynas 524 for a replacement for the Ultra 4. 

On the new 524 I am considering, if possible, to install a webserver to the Readynas and a php/mysql gallery for my photos.

I want to go for Western Digital discs for the new Readynas 524 and four 5, 6 or 8 TB discs.

Which WD disc type is recommended considering price and TB?

Regards Paal

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disc to Readynas 524

@fondy wrote:
Hi StephenB Thank you for your reply. Maybe I should go for 2 WD80EFZX discs and leaving 2 slots open. ... And in future when 10GB+ discs become more affordable I can use these in slot 3 and 4. Regards Paal

That's a reasonable approach.

@fondy wrote:
I have to use Raid-1 I guess? 

Just use the default XRAID.  That maintains single redundancy, and can handle mixed sizes (as long as the new disks are bigger than the existing disks).

Under the covers, XRAID will use RAID-1 with two disks.  If you go to 2x8TB + 2x12TB, it will convert that to a 4x8TB RAID-5 group and add a 2x4TB RAID-1 group (to use the extra space on the 12 TB disks).  These are merged into one volume/file system, so all you'd see is a 28TB volume.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
fondy
Tutor

It is important that these WD discs must be working for at least another 10 years 🙂

Paal

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@fondy wrote:

Which WD disc type is recommended considering price and TB?

I use 3 WD80EFZX (8 TB WDC Reds) in my own RN524x, leaving the last slot open for future expansion. In my RN526x I use 4 WD60EFRX (6 TB WDC Reds) You could also go with WDC Red Pros or WDC Golds (both enterprise class).  But I get good performance with the Reds, and I like the fact that they run cool. 

4x4 TB Reds cost about $45/TB ($134*4/12).  Golds bring that up to ~$57 ($170*4/12)

4x6 TB Reds cost about $42/TB ($190*4/18).  Golds bring that up to ~$55 ($258*4/18)

4x8 TB Reds cost about $43/TB ($259*4/24).  Golds bring that up to ~$55 ($330*4/24)

The costs per TB of a fully populated NAS are very close within each class of drives.  Unless you are planning a big expansion in storage needs I suggest getting fewer larger drives, and leaving some open slots for future use. This costs more per TB in the short run, but over time it ends up cheaper (since you don't need to replace working disks with bigger ones when it comes time to expand).

For instance, 2x8TB would give you a bit more space than you have now, and leaves open the option of adding 2x10 TB or even larger later on.  

FWIW, I think both the Ultra 4 and the ST2000DL003s were introduced in late 2010, so they'd be about 7 years old.

Message 3 of 6
fondy
Tutor

Hi StephenB Thank you for your reply. Maybe I should go for 2 WD80EFZX discs and leaving 2 slots open. I have to use Raid-1 I guess? And in future when 10GB+ discs become more affordable I can use these in slot 3 and 4. Regards Paal
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@fondy wrote:
Hi StephenB Thank you for your reply. Maybe I should go for 2 WD80EFZX discs and leaving 2 slots open. ... And in future when 10GB+ discs become more affordable I can use these in slot 3 and 4. Regards Paal

That's a reasonable approach.

@fondy wrote:
I have to use Raid-1 I guess? 

Just use the default XRAID.  That maintains single redundancy, and can handle mixed sizes (as long as the new disks are bigger than the existing disks).

Under the covers, XRAID will use RAID-1 with two disks.  If you go to 2x8TB + 2x12TB, it will convert that to a 4x8TB RAID-5 group and add a 2x4TB RAID-1 group (to use the extra space on the 12 TB disks).  These are merged into one volume/file system, so all you'd see is a 28TB volume.

Message 5 of 6
fondy
Tutor

Thanks a lot 🙂
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation