× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disk Failure Issues on RNDP600U

lits1
Aspirant

Disk Failure Issues on RNDP600U

Hi there,

Around 18 months ago I purchased a ReadyNAS RNDP600U for home storage. For the first few months it worked fine, but somewhere around the 8-month mark it started to report that my disks were failing randomly.

Here's a screen-grab of a recent failure:

The trouble is, these disks haven't actually failed. If I take them out of the chassis and plug them into another computer, they test perfectly fine. In most cases the disks will work again when plugged back in to the chassis and the array will rebuild. Naturally, I'm beginning to think that this may be an issue with the chassis itself.

Have any other RNDP600U users experienced a similar issue with their device? I'm a little concerned that two disk "failures" may occur at once, rendering my array dead.
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What brand and model disks are installed?
Message 2 of 7
lits1
Aspirant

All disks are Seagate, two are newer 2TB ST2000DM001-1CH164's, two are older 2TB ST2000DL003-9VT166's and there's one even older 1.5TB ST31500341AS.

Screenshot:

As you can see above, it's one of the ST2000DL003-9VT166 on channel 3 that's failed. Back at the start of the month, the other ST2000DL003-9VT166 on channel 1 failed.

For a day or so, the disk on channel 1 refused to come back online. Then all of a sudden it spun back up and the array re-sync'd.

Edit: It's probably worth mentioning that when I was running a full array of 1.5TB ST31500341AS disks, I had exactly the same problem. The disks on channels 1 & 5 seemed to be the only ones that would fail. Channel 3 (as far as I can recall) has never had an issue until now.
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the firmware version of the ST2000DL003 disks? You can check by clicking on the SMART+ button next to the disk under Status > Health in Frontview
Message 4 of 7
lits1
Aspirant

CC3C on Disk 1
CC32 on Disk 3
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disk 1 needs a firmware update to CC3D: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64510

Disk 3 can't be updated to CC3D firmware. You will need to RMA it.
Message 6 of 7
lits1
Aspirant

Wow, I had no idea this was such a well documented problem.

Thanks for the help 🙂
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements