× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk upgrade ReadyNAS RN102

TPdart1
Aspirant

Disk upgrade ReadyNAS RN102

Just looking to upgrade from 1tb to 4tb drives on this NAS. I’m Ok on the physical switch over but do really need to do a full backup, or can I just switch out the drives one at a time? This NAS is up to date on firmware. Thanks
Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disk upgrade ReadyNAS RN102

@TPdart1 wrote:
 but do really need to do a full backup, or can I just switch out the drives one at a time?

There is some risk, since one of the old disks could fail during the resync.  That can result in data loss.

But that risk is relatively low with RAID-1, because each disk can be booted stand-alone.  That is, if the first resync fails, you could power down, install the disk you removed (by itself), and power up.  The system should reboot with all your data intact.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@TPdart1 wrote:
 but do really need to do a full backup, or can I just switch out the drives one at a time?

There is some risk, since one of the old disks could fail during the resync.  That can result in data loss.

But that risk is relatively low with RAID-1, because each disk can be booted stand-alone.  That is, if the first resync fails, you could power down, install the disk you removed (by itself), and power up.  The system should reboot with all your data intact.

Message 2 of 4
TPdart1
Aspirant

StephenB- many thanks- looks like this will save a lot of time!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@TPdart1 wrote:

StephenB- many thanks- looks like this will save a lot of time!

Glad it helps.

I do need to add my usual caution - RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  So everyone who uses their NAS for primary storage (with only copy of files on the NAS) should have a backup plan in place.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements