× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download files from the ReadyNAS to another device

khunter
Aspirant

Download files from the ReadyNAS to another device

This is an older NG 3200. I need to download copies of the files from the ReadyNAS to our Data Domain unit. I can browse to the folder with the files, but when I try to copy the files, it does not give me the option to select the target device. It starts saving it to my laptop. Also, I have several +1TB files that need to be moved and it only seems to allow me to select one file at a time if I try to do a "Save As". There has got to be a better way. How can I copy these files to another device?

Model: ReadyNASRN12P1220|ReadyNAS 3200 24TB (12 X 2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Download files from the ReadyNAS to another device

Hi @khunter, if it is possible to use your data domain unit as a backup target for your nas, try to go that way.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 6
khunter
Aspirant

I inherited this unit and am not familiar with it. The files themselves are backup files. I am not sure how to backup the NG 3200. I can only browse to the folders with the files and folders. I am unable to map it to use it as a regular drive. I can upload files to it, but can't get them off without doing them one at a time. And that is extremely slow.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The software manual is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Business_SW_05Nov13.pdf

I suggest reading the section on backing up data on page 89.  That describes how to create backup jobs on the NAS that will copy shares to a remote machine, using SMB, NFS, RSYNC, or FTP. 

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Or at the very least, use the SMB or NFS protocols to access the NAS, not the GUI and HTTP(S).  The backup job is the best bet, though, as you aren't relaying everything via a PC.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Or at the very least, use the SMB or NFS protocols to access the NAS, 

Note that if you are using SMB, the NAS uses SMB 1.0. 

If you are using Windows 10, you probably will need to enable the SMB 1.0 client.  Enter "turn windows features on or off" in the windows search bar, and click on the app that it finds.

Though the built-in backup jobs are the best fits for what you want to do.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements