× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Drive Upgrades - WD20EARS-00MVWB1 WD Caviar Green 2TB

thekuttingedge
Aspirant

Drive Upgrades - WD20EARS-00MVWB1 WD Caviar Green 2TB

Hi All,

I have a query. I bought 2 of these 2TB green drives (WD20EARS-00MVWB1 WD Caviar Green 2TB). I know there is a lot of complaints about them, but they are a very decent price and that capacity is just what I need as I run out of space on my 1TB Duo drives.

Here's the thing. Backing up everything to an External USB drive is PAINFULLY SLOW on the Duo, even with fast writes enabled. I am stunned by how dreadful it is. It's actually quicker for me to copy across the network and hop via my desktop PC to the USB drive!!

Anyway, it has taken me absolutely days to get through a lot of the data on my NAS drives... but I'd like to know if the following is possible:

I'd like to pop out the 1TB drives and put in the 2TB green drives. Do the whole config thing (4k firmware write?) and set up on the new drives and then copy whats on the USB drive back across onto the NAS with the new 2TB drives in it.

If I should pop these out and put the old 1TB drives back in... will they still work with all the old data there? It may sound lame, but I'd like to get most of my data up and running on the new 2TB disks and slowly move the remaining old data later since it takes SOOOO damn long to copy off to USB.

What do people think? Should I be able to swap between pairs of 1TB and 2TB so long as drives maintain their slot numbers, etc?

Thanks
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes you can power down and put the old drives back in.

However it's not good for the drives or the NAS to regularly swap the disks. You should backup your data now and keep the 1TB drives for a while just in case there's a problem with your backup, not instead of a backup.
Message 2 of 14
thekuttingedge
Aspirant

Hi There,

Thanks for the advice. I only intend to do this to get things up and running in my end state. I'll probably only swap back once and then do a final run of data copies. I'm basically putting off the backup/copy off of probably 600GB of AVI files... that is going to take foreevvveeeerrrrrr! I dread to think how long it will take given the time it took to do the 400GB of other stuff...

I also like your idea of holding onto the 1TBs for a bit after the new disks are in place...
Message 3 of 14
thekuttingedge
Aspirant

Well, this made me laugh... 6 days, 22 hours for 545GB of data, all large files... Pffff...
Message 4 of 14
PapaBear1
Guide

If you are copying over the network to an external drive attached to a PC, it should be much faster. Many times that calculation is way off. May times when copying large files from my NAS to my PC it will tell me it's going to take 24 hours (half way through after 5 minutes, only to have it complete 5 minutes later!). I have a tendency to pay far more attention to the number of files left vs total and number of giga/mega bytes left vs total. It would be interesting how long it actually takes.
Message 5 of 14
thekuttingedge
Aspirant

Yep, sadly that's exactly what I'm doing. I dread to think what the time would be locally attached to the ReadyNAS.

Currently running at a pretty constant 1,015kb/s. I haven't seen any fluctuations in the amount of time left or files remaing.

Would be nicer if my Netgear router was gigabit, but unfortunately its only 100Mbit

Here's another question though come to think of it... Does the copy from a locally attached USB on the ReadyNAS go any quicker since its a read rather than a write operation?
Message 6 of 14
NickHW
Aspirant

thekuttingedge wrote:
Would be nicer if my Netgear router was gigabit, but unfortunately its only 100Mbit

Why don't you just pick up a $25 gigabit switch and hang the router and your devices off that?
Message 7 of 14
PapaBear1
Guide

The 100Mb/s ports on your router is the source of your bottleneck. When I went to a gigabit switch and connected my NV+ and desktops to that, it more than doubled my transfer speed. I connected my printers which are not affected by the bottleneck of 100Mb/s ports to the router directly.
Message 8 of 14
thekuttingedge
Aspirant

Hi Guys,

Wow, it's one debacle after another in my house... so, the desktop I am hanging my USB drive off went pop! Turns out after a lot of picking through what could be wrong that one (or more) of the memory modules has decided it doesn't like team sports anymore. Therefore, the desktop is back up with only 1GB of RAM in it! New memory is on it's way...

Yeah, the DSL router is the bottleneck for sure... I could just buy a Gigabit switch which is actually a nice and pretty cheap fix, but I will (in time) replace this router with a DSL router that supports Gigabit ports and also the wireless n standard so that my laptop and tablet can benefit from the speed boost too.

In the meantime, does anyone have an opinion on my other question? The copy back of data once the ReadyNAS is singing on 2TB drives... having this local would be equally slow to read from as it is to write to? Just wondering because I'd love to remove my desktop from the equation.

Thanks
Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

thekuttingedge wrote:
Currently running at a pretty constant 1,015kb/s.
Do you mean kilobits per second or kilobytes per second?
Message 10 of 14
thekuttingedge
Aspirant

Do you mean kilobits per second or kilobytes per second?

bytes... which I read as just under an MB, no?

I was foolishly using WinSCP... as soon as I did just a straight Windows CIFS copy the transfer jumped up to 5.50MB/s

Now copying onto the new drives at that same rate. Will be done shortly, hopefully.

Still wondering if it's worth doing a direct hook-up to the NAS for the copy back..
Message 11 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If your PC has a gigabit ethernet port and your router is only 100Mbit, then yes a direct-connection should be a little faster. See http://sphardy.com/web/directconnect

Btw, I should have asked what version of RAIDiator are you running?

Should also have mentioned that your version of the WD20EARS is not on the Hard Disk HCL. The Notes for the WD20EARS in the compatibility list are quite clear.
Message 12 of 14
thekuttingedge
Aspirant

If your PC has a gigabit ethernet port and your router is only 100Mbit, then yes a direct-connection should be a little faster. See http://sphardy.com/web/directconnect

Btw, I should have asked what version of RAIDiator are you running?

Should also have mentioned that your version of the WD20EARS is not on the Hard Disk HCL. The Notes for the WD20EARS in the compatibility list are quite clear.

PC has a gigabit port, but yes the router is the bottleneck. Regardless of other factors, 5MB/s is pretty much what I'm getting for the copy jobs.

True, this version of the WD20EARS is not on the HCL, but I am aware of a great many people having successfully installed and used them. The main thing as I see it is that I have not taken the in place expansion route to using these disks, I have done a complete swap of both disks. Thus far, while really only being used to pump my old data back on to them, the disk have performed just fine... unless there is something else I may be missing at this point.

RAIDiator v.4.1.8 - though I did read somewhere that there is a beta version 4.1.9, but I would rather have a final product than introduce another issue from beta firmware.
Message 13 of 14
Obiwan_
Apprentice

I installed 4 of them (WD20EARS-00MVWB0) in my ReadyNAS 1100 w/ 4.1.8 firmware with success. I just read about the 8 second head park issue and looked at the LCC on the drives. With only 61 hours on the drives Drive 1 is 1170, 2 is 104, 3 is 100 and 4 is 90. How do I shut off the autopark or set it to a reasonable number? Or should I just return them and get something else?

Thanks, Kent
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements