× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive change

Markacc
Aspirant

Drive change

Sorry if these are basic questions but I am a basic user.
Have a Readynas Duo - V1 (RND2110 purchased 2010). I am getting an increasing reallocated sector count on disk 2 so I guess it is time to replace it.
Both current dics are Seagate ST31000528AS (1Tb). Used for music streaming and photo storage. Set up as X-Raid.
Question 1 - do I have to get a 1Tb disc as replacement for disc 2, or can I get a 2Tb - I do not need extra capacity but the larger discs are more readily available it seems.
Question 2 - do I have to have the same brand - I think the answer here is no?
Question 3 - if disc 2 replaced it resyncs from disc 1, so presumably if disc 1 fails in future I just swap in a new disc to disc 1 and it resyncs from disc 2 ?

Thanks in advance

Mark
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Drive change

1. Can get 2TB disk (max capacity supported by Duo v1)
2. No. Can be a different brand.
3. Yes
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I suggest searching this forum for the specific drive model you are considering before you purchase.
Message 3 of 5
Markacc
Aspirant

Tnaks to both.
I had already checked the compatability list and am only looking at drives on it.
It was more a case of being unsure whether it mattered if the two discs were not identical, prompted i suppose by refernces i had seen on the forum to "expansion" and the subsequent requirement to update firmware etc.
I was rather looking to keep it as simple as possible so was going to simply replace disc 2 with another 1Tb disc, but if a 2Tb disc is more radily available, as cheap, and will simply swop in I may as well go for that option.

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Even if you're sticking to the HCL you should search the forum for posts on your specific drive model.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements