× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duo and Ext Enclosure Question

Sulu
Aspirant

Duo and Ext Enclosure Question

I just upgraded my ReadyNAS Duo with 2TB drives and did a factory reset (firmware 4.1.7). Now that I have the drives working, I need to purchase a new USB backup drive. Instead of the normal "all in one" solution, I was planning on buying an external enclosure like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817173042 and then buying a bare 2TB drive to put into it. Should I be aware of any compatibility issues with this sort of setup? Can I choose pretty much any 2TB drive to put into the enclosure?

Thanks
Message 1 of 3
Sulu
Aspirant

Re: Duo and Ext Enclosure Question

Well, after a week of no replies, and 4 days of no help from my Netgear support ticket I guess I have to buy and try. It seems odd that Netgear points you to this thread for "officially" supported external backup drives yet has no support personnel to answer questions here. Not only that but submitting an official support ticket also goes unanswered. Pretty disappointing when I am just looking for a little advice, a "Watch out for that" or "You should be ok".

Anyway the deals on my enclosure and hd will be over soon so I guess I have to be the guinea pig. Here is what I plan to purchase:

Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Rosewill RX-358 V2 BLK (Black) 3.5" SATA to USB & eSATA Ext. Enclosure w/Int.80mm fan
Message 2 of 3
Sulu
Aspirant

Re: Duo and Ext Enclosure Question

I have been using the Rosewill RX-358 V2 BLK for about a week and a half now with no trouble. I decided to get the Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 since it was a lot less expensive. I haven't had any issues so far.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements