× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duo->NV->Pro upgrade path

Krusher
Aspirant

Duo->NV->Pro upgrade path

From what I've seen in the FAQ, the ReadyNAS Duo can be upgraded easily to the NV+ by simply moving the disks.

Can the NV+ be upgraded to the Pro by transferring the disks as well? I realize that the Pro has some hardware differences like dual LAN, different memory, and probably a different CPU...but I haven't seen this question in the FAQ yet.

Thanks (I have an NV+)
Message 1 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

Re: Duo->NV->Pro upgrade path

You can move the Duo to the NV/NV+ yes.

But you cannot migrate to the from that platform to the Pro. viewtopic.php?p=123093#p123093
Message 2 of 6
Krusher
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
You can move the Duo to the NV/NV+ yes.

But you cannot migrate to the from that platform to the Pro. viewtopic.php?p=123093#p123093

Ok thanks! I missed that in my searching.
Message 3 of 6
panayis
Aspirant

I have an NV+ system with a lot of users, groups, shares and security set up.
When migrating to a new Pro 6 system can I use the Config Backup from the NV+ and restore it to the Pro 6?
I could then migrate the data from the shares.

Can I do this? Is the config backup compatible between the NV+ and the Pro 6?
No-one has suggested doing this as far as I can find.. it has always been a case of recreating the configuration manually!
Message 4 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

Although the Frontview screens look very similar to one another, they are totally different files under the hood. So, No, it cannot be done. There is another discussion on here where some one asked what would happen if they loaded the configuration file from an NV+ onto an X-86 system, and the answer was that they would at least have to do a factory default to clear it.

There are two ways to do it. One is to sit down with a note pad and make notes of your settings in each screen starting with the Network section. And proceed though all of them. The other way is to open Frontview on the NV+ in one browser tab and Frontview on the Pro 6 in another. Starting with the Network section and the interfaces, you will note difference in the layout. Then just copy your settings from one to the other. When I set up my first x-86 box a year ago, this was how I did it.

Even going from one x-86 box to another, I didn't copy the config. I shut down my NVX Pioneer and moved the disks into my NVX BE, and the config of course went with it. I then set up the Pioneer as a backup target, so the config was different (except for the mirrored shares).
Message 5 of 6
panayis
Aspirant

I tried the Config Backup with "Everything".. and that, indeed, resulted in having to do a factory reset.
I have had more success with "Users and Groups".. that moved across OK. (This was my biggest headache!)
I created the shares manually (not too much of a job).
I then used config backup to move the "Share Access", to set permissions on the shares. This did nothing at all.
I did the rest manually. Fortunately the "Share Access" restore didn't create any problems for me!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements