× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

E-Mail notification is blocked by GMail due to duplicate To headers

clth
Aspirant

E-Mail notification is blocked by GMail due to duplicate To headers

ReadyNAS   with OS 6.10.8.

E-Mail alert to my GMail Account is blocked due to  duplicate To-Headers:

>>> DATA (EOM)

<<< 550 5.7.1 [81.169.146.xxx] This message is not RFC 5322 compliant, the issue is: duplicate To headers. To reduce the amount of spam sent to Gmail, this message has been blocked. Please review RFC 5322 specifications for more information. u13-20020adff88d000000b002bfb24e2929si2327678wrp.1011 - gsmtp

The duplicate To-Headers in the notification mails are existing  for a longer time, but other providers dont't block it.

Any idea?

Claus

Message 1 of 4
NiveditaP
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: E-Mail notification is blocked by GMail due to duplicate To headers

Hello @clth , 

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂 
Could you please update your alert configurations.

Root cause of issue can be :
Multiple lines with To tag is added while readynasd sends test message on Multiple Mail Ids, so it is violating the below rule of IONOS Mail Servers.
"The following header lines may only exist once: From, Sender, To, CC, Subject" .
For solving this issue firmware change in Readynasd will be required to remove mutilpe lines with To tag from its Header.
It's very clear this is the limitation of mail system: gmx.de, the mail server rejects the message with multiple receivers.
ReadyNAS is just a client to send message and it works with very common mail services: gmail, and outlook.
We use two config files used for sending test alert message.
1) /etc/msmtp -> for configuration of email server account.
2) /etc/frontview/alert.conf -> for configuration of alert contacts.

Have a lovely day, 
Nivedita Pa
Netgear Team 

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@NiveditaP wrote:

It's very clear this is the limitation of mail system: gmx.de, the mail server rejects the message with multiple receivers.
ReadyNAS is just a client to send message and it works with very common mail services: gmail, and outlook.

I am using yahoo mail to send alerts, configuring both my yahoo and my gmail address as Alert Contacts I also see blocked messages from gmail due to non-compliant headers in my yahoo email.

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
<XXXX>
550: 5.7.1 [98.137.65.148] This message is not RFC 5322 compliant, the issue is:
5.7.1 duplicate To headers. To reduce the amount of spam sent to Gmail,
5.7.1 this message has been blocked. Please review
5.7.1  RFC 5322 specifications for more information. l12-20020a170903120c00b001961fc1ba30si13804779plh.120 - gsmtp

So I think there is a bug here in the ReadyNAS when you have multiple alert contacts.  

@clth: how many alert contacts do you have configured?

Message 3 of 4
clth
Aspirant

how many alert contacts do you have configured?

I had 2 contacts cofigured.
I tried to delete one of them several times, but that didn't work - the second one came up back immediately.
Fortunately Netgear allows direct acces to the whole file system via ssh (I love that feature).
So I took a look at /etc/aliases and there were 2 destinations for default.
After reducing the alias to one entry it seems to work.

Thx and best regards

Claus

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements