× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EDA500 Setup on RN516

McRob2
Aspirant

EDA500 Setup on RN516

I am looking for some instructions on setup for attaching a EDA500 to a RN516.  I have reviewed all documentation and I cannot find any instructions on how to setup and configure a EDA500 external storage unit.

Can anyone provide some instructions?

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
McRob2
Aspirant

Re: EDA500 Setup on RN516

Thanks Stephen

That information does help, but it would be nice if there was actually published documentation that covers suggested configuration choices when installing a EDA500.

I guess the user is just supposed to know what to do when they purchase new equipment from Netgear.

I wonder if other hardware suppliers have better documentation of their hardware.

I would be completly lost without help from the netgear community.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay
Message 10 of 10

All Replies
yxue
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

You can search 'EDA500' in http://downloadcenter.netgear.com page, then download 'Hardware Manual' and 'Software Manual'.

They have some content about EDA 500 which may help you. 🙂

Message 2 of 10
McRob2
Aspirant

Thanks but I already read thru that data and I still did not find what I was looking for.

1. I see there are 3 eSata Ports on the back of my RN516 that are different colors.  Which one should I plug the EDA500 into?

2. Are there any configuration changes I need to make in the RN516.  I am currently running X-Raid (Raid 5) with (6) 6 TB drives?

3. How will the RN516 show the EDA500 hard drives.  I plan on adding 5 drives that are 4 TB each into the EDA500.  How should they be configred in the NR516?

I don't get my new EDA500 until next week.

Thanks for your reply.

Message 3 of 10
sotrack
Luminary

1. you can use any eSata port

2. No. Do nothing here.

3. You can choose any configuration on EDA500 volume (Raid-5, Raid-6, JBOD, xRaid,...). You will see additional volume in  System -> Volumes page. For configuration eda500 volume (eda1 by default) you will do the same action like main unit volume

Message 4 of 10
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

The devices can plug into any of the 3 esata ports.  In fact, you could have up to 3 of them plugged into your 516.  From what I hear, they have to be used as a second volume, you can't expand what you already have in the 516.  I assume like plugging in a esata drive or USB drive that it will show up as a new volume.   There's not much to the EDA500, other than a esata controller, a Sata HDD backboard and a power supply.  The 516 is doing all the work.

Again, since the HDD's on the EDA500 is not a growing part of your currant volume, you would stay at RAID5 for both the RN516 and its volume and the EDA500 and its own volume.  Normally, at least with ReadyNAS, anything 7HDD's or more would auto default to Raid6.  Any HDD's from the EDA500 is not an extension of your currant volume.  That's at least my understanding.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

In fact, you could have up to 3 of them plugged into your 516.

The 526x and 626x only have one eSATA port btw.  So if you have multiple EDA500s, you should take that into account when upgrading.

Personally I'd add a second NAS instead of the extender (perhaps a lower-end NAS like the RN214).  Though of course others prefer the extender concept - there's no right or wrong on this.

Message 6 of 10
McRob2
Aspirant

I makes sense that the EDA500 would show up as a new volume.

I have never worked with more than one volume.  What are the differences?

In order to use the new volume do I have to create a new share on it?

Is there any difference in speed of file transfer to the new volume/share?

Are there any instructions on how to set up a EDA500 with a new volume?

Thanks for the information.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@McRob2 wrote:

I makes sense that the EDA500 would show up as a new volume.

I have never worked with more than one volume.  What are the differences?

It's like having two disks in a PC.  You'll need to create new shares on the EDA volume, and probably migrate some of your existing shares to the new volume.  The built-in backup jobs are useful here - you create a new share with a temporary name, copy the data, then delete the original share, and finally rename the new one.

When you access shares from Windows File Explorer or Finder (OSX), you'll see the full share list (both volumes combined).  So all the share names need to be unique (and none can match the volume names).

As free space changes over time, you will occasionally want to reorganize some shares in order to keep reasonable free space on both volumes.

Maintenance functions (balance, defrag, etc) are scheduled independently for the the two volumes.

If you use a UPS (and you should use one) then you'll want to protect both the 516 and the EDA with the same UPS.

Message 8 of 10
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

That's true, the new 526x and 626x only have 1 eSata port.  I assumed it just wasn't needed.  That few people had more then 1 plugged in.  At that point you could be running 21 HDD on your NAS.  Seems power hungrey, and odd's of a hdd failing going up much more because there's so many more.  Plus you have HDD that keep growing in size.  We're up to 8TB now with no signs of it stopping.  Long as it keeps going up, up, up, prices on the smaller ones drop down more resonable.  Fewer/larger HDD's would be more energy effecant.  not to mention take up a lot less space.

I like the Idea of going with a cheaper Nas, either for backup reasons, or for more storage space which the high end NAS can grab data from.  The price for a new EDA500 really seems crazy high for what it is.  A 4 bay RN214 is cheaper then a new EDA500, which to me seems insane!!!  I'd only buy the EDA500 if I could find a used one for cheap.

Message 9 of 10
McRob2
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

That information does help, but it would be nice if there was actually published documentation that covers suggested configuration choices when installing a EDA500.

I guess the user is just supposed to know what to do when they purchase new equipment from Netgear.

I wonder if other hardware suppliers have better documentation of their hardware.

I would be completly lost without help from the netgear community.

Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements