× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Echange ReadyNAS Duo v2 to new NAS

mhellstrand
Tutor

Echange ReadyNAS Duo v2 to new NAS

Hi

I have a ready nas duo v2 running at home with 2 3tb mirrored disks.

I wonder if I want to "upgrade" to newer (maybe bigger) model of Netgear NAS can I choose a new NAS and have my disks swapped over without any data loss?. What models are there that's compatible to this "diskswap".

many thanks

//Martin

Model: ReadyNASRND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Well the solution I am seeing but it is hairy and a bit dangerous is:

setp 0 old device raid 1 redundant new device empty

step 1 old device raid 1 degraded 1 slot empty new device 1 slot populated

step 2 manual data transfer

step 3 old device remaining HDD removal and low level format and insertion (mandatory if you want a clean install) in 2nd slot of new device and adding parity to have raid 1 at least.

end of procedure.

Reagards.

Open to suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@mhellstrand wrote:

I have a ready nas duo v2 running at home with 2 3tb mirrored disks.

The newer NAS use a different file system, so you can't simply migrate them.  The RN200 series is a good place to start looking - there is a two-bay RN212 and a four-bay RN214.  The RN100 is possible too, but in my opinion is a bit underpowered (relatively slow CPU).

Personally, I'd get new disks for the new NAS, and use the duo v2 as a backup device for the new one. 

You could also remove one drive from the duo, and do a fresh install on the new NAS.  Then copy the files over the network (using the built in backup jobs). When complete, remove the second disk from the duo, and add it to the array.  It is best to have a backup, if a disk fails in this process you could lose data.

Message 2 of 7

I will ask you a question, WHAT IS THE MONEY you are willing to spend?

My options I'll give you will all depends on that!

What you really want to do in the future, 2/4/6 bays and your future needs.

HOW many GB are you adding each years?

Regards.

Message 3 of 7
mhellstrand
Tutor

Thats not really an answer to my question.

my only concern is "Can I swap my current disks to another NAS unit or not and still keep the data on them?"

Why i'm asking is because i had a ready nas duo version 1 for many years and the hardware broke. Something in the NAS just died but both disks was ok. So in the event that the actual NAS breaksdown and wount reboot any more. How can I save the data on det disks if I cvan't swap them into another newer NAS unit.

//M

Message 4 of 7

Well the solution I am seeing but it is hairy and a bit dangerous is:

step 1 old device raid 1 degraded 1 slot empty new device 1 slot populated

step 3 old device remaining HDD removal and low level format and insertion (mandatory if you want a clean install) in 2nd slot of new device and adding parity to have raid 1 at least.

end of procedure.

Reagards.

Open to suggestions.

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the kudo but does the procedure I am giving you suits you and answer your question?

Regards!

Message 6 of 7

By the way a solution to lower a bit your stress would be to purchase an extra 3Tb in order to have a permanent redundancy.

NEW procedure if it's a 4 drives solution

step 1 old device raid 1 new device empty slot inserted  with new HDD

step 3 old device first HDD removal low level format (mandatory if you want a clean install) and insertion in the second slot new device array building

step 4 old device remaining HDD removal and low level format and insertion in 3rd slot of new device and adding parity to have raid 5 at least

end procedure

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements