× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Encountered issue with 6.9.2

acraigl
Tutor

Encountered issue with 6.9.2

I've only had the RN214 for a few days, but everything has been going pretty well overall and I'm impressed with what I'm seeing over my VERY old windows home server. 

When I got it up and running, it auto-updated to firmware 6.9.1. While triaging a seaparate case with a tech he suggested I update to the newest F/W, 6.9.2. Even though the device said it running the most current, I found the link and updated anyway. After reboot, all drives were in an inactive state and all of my data, shares, etc were gone. After some light troubleshooting, I decided to downgrade back to 6.9.1 and was relieved to find my shares and data still present -- although it did have to do a lengthy 3-hour rebalancing act -- but that was a small price to see my data again.

Not sure if I did something wrong (I can't imagine I did) or if there is an issue, edge case or something, but that was pretty bad. So heads-up I guess?

KDYOW3Z[1].png

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can hot-swap with a replacement disk. The NAS will then format the replacement disk and add it to the array.

If the disk is already formatted you'd need to go into the web admin UI and format the disk there.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 10
acraigl
Tutor

Done!

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your logs show that the disk in slot 3 is bad. It's not a good idea to update the firmware with a bad disk installed.

If you look at smart_history.log you'll see that the WD10EADS disk you added has huge current pending sector, uncorrectable error and ATA error counts.

Message 4 of 10
acraigl
Tutor

Didn't catch that, so thanks.

But why would it be fine under one firmware and not another (reported, anyway)?

Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think it was the reboot that brought it back, not the downgrade.

In any case it would be advisable to make sure you have an up to date backup.

Message 6 of 10
acraigl
Tutor

I rebooted at least twice when trying troubleshoot, so I don't think so. I'll look into replacing the drive regardless. Thanks.
Message 7 of 10
acraigl
Tutor

@mdgm-ntgr Is there any special procedure I need to follow to swap the drive? Or can I just hot-swap it place?

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can hot-swap with a replacement disk. The NAS will then format the replacement disk and add it to the array.

If the disk is already formatted you'd need to go into the web admin UI and format the disk there.

Message 9 of 10
acraigl
Tutor

Just for closure, I replaced the disk and upgraded to 6.9.2 with no issue. Thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements