× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

End of life for old ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer

atrask
Aspirant

End of life for old ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer

I have an old ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer 6-bay that is still working fine. However, since I bought it in March 2009, I'm wondering when I should retire it before it fails or if the NAS performance is affected by such an old version of hardware and OS. I have relatively new WD Red 2TB drives in use. Just worried about the ReadyNAS chassis and system.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: End of life for old ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer

@atrask wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Could I upgrade to OS6 without the memory/CPU upgrades?

You can, though you could run into problems if you enable the antivirus and the file search.  Currently shipping OS-6 systems have at least 2 GB of RAM, so it would be best to have at least that much.

@atrask wrote:

And as an alternative, could I copy my data from my OS4 Pioneer Pro to a new OS6 NAS machine using this method: https://kb.netgear.com/29730/How-do-I-back-up-data-from-a-RAIDiator-4-system-to-a-ReadyNAS-OS-6-syst...

Yes, you can copy over the shares using the built-in backup jobs of either the OS-6 NAS or the OS-4 NAS.  Rsync is the best protocol for doing that.  That of course only works if the Pioneer NAS is running.  

Once done, you can reverse the backups and continue to use the Pioneer as a backup NAS.  I'm doing that now with my Pro-6.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Other than the drives, the power supply is usually the first to go.  Alternate supplies can be found, however, if that kind of repair is within your comfort level.

The Old Pro Pioneer does have a Pentium Dual E2160 @`1.80GHz and only 1GB of RAM.  YOu can upgrade the processor to a Core2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz and the RAM to 4GB rather inexpensively, and get a lot more power from it.  (You can actually go to 8GB of RAM, but not cheaply.)  And you can update it to OS6.  That was what I did.

Updating to OS6 gives you a modern, regularly updated OS and Linux base, current Apps, and if the unti fails, you can move the drives directly into a new OS6 based NAS..  You'll want to update your BIOS first, then follow instructins for the OS6 conversion you can find here in the forum.

A newer NAS will be faster yet, but not really noticably a lot if you are the only user.  I ultimately got  a great deal on a 516 and added it to my arsenal, but I still have a couple older Pro's I've updated (BE's, but basically the same hardware as your Pioneer).

Message 2 of 7
atrask
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. Could I upgrade to OS6 without the memory/CPU upgrades? Reason being I want to make it ready to migrate to a new NAS and just drop in the drives from my current to the new chassis.

Message 3 of 7
atrask
Aspirant

And as an alternative, could I copy my data from my OS4 Pioneer Pro to a new OS6 NAS machine using this method: https://kb.netgear.com/29730/How-do-I-back-up-data-from-a-RAIDiator-4-system-to-a-ReadyNAS-OS-6-syst...

I'm wondering if this will save me time and headache from upgrading CPU/memory of my old (and probably soon to die) Pioneer Pro and get me onto a better performing chassis.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@atrask wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Could I upgrade to OS6 without the memory/CPU upgrades?

You can, though you could run into problems if you enable the antivirus and the file search.  Currently shipping OS-6 systems have at least 2 GB of RAM, so it would be best to have at least that much.

@atrask wrote:

And as an alternative, could I copy my data from my OS4 Pioneer Pro to a new OS6 NAS machine using this method: https://kb.netgear.com/29730/How-do-I-back-up-data-from-a-RAIDiator-4-system-to-a-ReadyNAS-OS-6-syst...

Yes, you can copy over the shares using the built-in backup jobs of either the OS-6 NAS or the OS-4 NAS.  Rsync is the best protocol for doing that.  That of course only works if the Pioneer NAS is running.  

Once done, you can reverse the backups and continue to use the Pioneer as a backup NAS.  I'm doing that now with my Pro-6.

Message 5 of 7
kmassner1
Tutor

While I don't have a Pioneer (Pro 6, so similar hardware), I can confirm E7600 works fine (and cooler than stock) in the Pro.  Don't waste time trying a 1333 FSB cpu. I have tried many to no avail.  That being said....  YMMV. 8GB nondescript DDR2-800 is humming along just fine with the 1066FSB CPU.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 6 of 7
kmassner1
Tutor

BTW, I am at 6.9.4.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation