× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error Knem

agmunari
Guide

Error Knem

Hello, I was usually backing up to an external USB drive as usual. But after a few hours from the beginning the message knem_chache_alloc + 9B appears, and the backup does not finish. I have to restart everything. I don't know if it also coincides with the message that free space is less than 30%. I have deleted some large files, but I see that the free memory of the disk always remains the same. System is 6.10.4 hotfix 1

Best regards Nicola

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Error Knem

@agmunari wrote:

Hello, I was usually backing up to an external USB drive as usual. But after a few hours from the beginning the message knem_chache_alloc + 9B appears, and the backup does not finish.

perhaps kmem_cache_alloc ???  That is a memory allocation routine.  The message on the screen means that the system crashed at that location.  I don't think it's related to disk storage (though I guess a corrupted file system might result in a crash) -  it could also be linked to failing RAM.  What NAS model do you have?  Some have user-replacable memory.

@agmunari wrote:

I have deleted some large files, but I see that the free memory of the disk always remains the same. System is 6.10.4 hotfix 1

There are a couple of reasons for that.  One is that if you have snapshots enabled, then deleted files are still preserved in the snapshots.  So you might need to delete the snapshots in the shares where these files were located.

Even then, you might need to run a balance from the volume settings wheel to reclaim the space.  However, I'd be cautious about doing that, given the system crashes.  I'd complete the backup first, even if you end up doing it manually.

Message 2 of 4
agmunari
Guide

thanks for the help, the nas is a Readynas 516 with 6 x 4tb disks in RAID 10

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@agmunari wrote:

thanks for the help, the nas is a Readynas 516 with 6 x 4tb disks in RAID 10

Thanks.

I suggest first downloading the full log zip file, and see if you can find any disk-related or BTRFS related errors at around the time the NAS crashed.  You can look in system.log, kernel.log, and systemd-journal.log.  Looking at the backup log might also be helpful.

I'd also make sure that the volume is still mounted normally - if the NAS finds issues with the file system, it can remount the volume as read-only to help protect the data. If the volume is still mounted normally, and if you haven't tried simply rebooting the NAS and running the backup again, then I suggest trying that.

Also, check for any warnings that the root (OS partition) is filling. 

FWIW, although we should reclaim the space freed up by your file deletions, I think completing the backup is the first priority.  If you have between 20-30% free space, then you do have enough.  On my own NAS, I plan for expansion when the free space drops to about 20% (making sure the systems always have at least 15% free space).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements