× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Expanded Raid 5 array. Snapshots and shares have all disappeared

mctubster
Tutor

Expanded Raid 5 array. Snapshots and shares have all disappeared

Hi, I just added a forth 2TB disk to my existing 3x2TB Raid5 array. Resync went fine, have the new capacity, but at some point all of my snapshots and shares (except home for ones) have disappeared! Running 6.10.3. The actual data / folders are still there.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Model: RN31442D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@mctubster wrote:

Yes have SSH access etc. 

Then first check that you have space on the OS partition.  When it gets full, one symptom is that the NAS configuration files can get corrupted.

After that you can try running the script here.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@mctubster wrote:
Hi, I just added a fourth 2TB disk to my existing 3x2TB Raid5 array. Resync went fine, have the new capacity, but at some point all of my snapshots and shares (except home for ones) have disappeared! Running 6.10.3. The actual data / folders are still there.

Do you have a backup of the data?  

There is a tool you could use to restore the NAS configuration, but I think you should first check to see if you have a full OS partition. Is ssh enabled?

Message 2 of 6
mctubster
Tutor

I have a backup of the data that matters ... all of the data is still there, just the actual smb shares and snapshots are missing.

Are snapshot pruning events logged anywhere? I might have found the reason for all of the snapshots disappearing (ran completely out of space) as the resync was running (to be clear the resync didn't cause this, a large download ran unexpectedly), before the FS grew after the RAID5 expanded.

But can't for the life of me work out why the smb shares have gone missing.

Yes have SSH access etc. 

Cheers

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mctubster wrote:

Yes have SSH access etc. 

Then first check that you have space on the OS partition.  When it gets full, one symptom is that the NAS configuration files can get corrupted.

After that you can try running the script here.

Message 4 of 6
mctubster
Tutor

Hi,

Thanks a lot for that. The script rebuilt the share config files (I didn't realise they are stored on the /data volume in ._share ) which explains how they could be corrupted. OS partition never ran out of space. Also from the script output found out there are backups of these config files too!

Cheers

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

For those to whom the script is not a foreign language, it explains a lot as to what is "under the hood" of the OS6 share system, how things can go wrong, and how they can be righted.  I learned a lot from it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements