× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

External USB drive to back up 6TB ReadyNAS NV+ V1

youbecha
Aspirant

External USB drive to back up 6TB ReadyNAS NV+ V1

I have a Raid-X setup in a Readynas NV+ V1 with 4 2TB drives holding approx 6TB of data.

I want to back it up to an external USB drive.

I got a Seagate USB3.0 8TB drive, but so far I can't get the Readynas to see the file system...it sees the drive, just no file system.

The external drive is NTFS, originally had a small boot partition, after the first failure of the readynas to see the drive, I deleted it and reformatted the drive.

That doesn't work.  I am currently reformatting the drive in ext3...but somehow doubt that will work.

I want to know if anyone in the community has successfully hooked up a large 4TB or larger external USB drive to a V1 NV+, and if so what make/model, how much screwing around was required to make it work.

Thanks.

...I am attempting to back up the drive, via the network, to a eSATA raid plugged into my desktop computer....you can imagine how quick that is.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: External USB drive to back up 6TB ReadyNAS NV+ V1

@youbecha wrote:

I have a Raid-X setup in a Readynas NV+ V1 with 4 2TB drives holding approx 6TB of data.

I want to back it up to an external USB drive.

I got a Seagate USB3.0 8TB drive, but so far I can't get the Readynas to see the file system...it sees the drive, just no file system.

That is because the NV+ v1 doesn't support GPT drives (internal or external). So it is limited to 2 TB USB drives.

@youbecha wrote:

...I am attempting to back up the drive, via the network, to a eSATA raid plugged into my desktop computer....you can imagine how quick that is.

Actually that is the fastest way to do it.  The NV+ v1 transfers the files much more quickly over the network than it can write to USB drives - especially if the drive is formatted using NTFS.

The main challenge is making sure everything is transferred with no errors.  You could use robocopy or teracopy (with verification) - though that will be somewhat slower than drag+drop.  You could also share the drive, and use an NV+ backup job.

Message 2 of 7
youbecha
Aspirant

Yes I am using a network share. It is interesting that it can crate a 8TB raid, but cannot access a single drive larger than 2TB...almost makes the ability to hook up an external drive for backup purposes useless.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@youbecha wrote:
 It is interesting that it can crate a 8TB raid, but cannot access a single drive larger than 2TB...almost makes the ability to hook up an external drive for backup purposes useless.

Agreed.  It's not an issue for me anymore, since my NV+ backs up my pro (and doesn't need to be backed up itself).

The core product goes back to ~2007-2008 and pre-dates GPT drives.  I think the largest available drives at the time were 1 TB, maybe even less.  There's been some debate here on whether the v1 hardware is capable of supporting GPT or not, but at the end of the day, Netgear didn't add it.

Of course none of the current ReadyNAS have this limitation.

Message 4 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi youbecha,

I believe it only supports up to 2TB capacity for an external USB hard drive and you're lucky if a 3TB works fine. I totally agree with what StephenB have said.

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
youbecha
Aspirant

Thanks all for the input!

And just to clarify, no the NV+ V1 did not recognize the drive in EXT3 or EXT4...well I should say, it sees 2TB, but lists the drive as no file system.

Yup doing the slow backup over the network...

...I am curious how an external USB raid would look...I may have to try that next.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@youbecha wrote:

Thanks all for the input!

And just to clarify, no the NV+ V1 did not recognize the drive in EXT3 or EXT4...well I should say, it sees 2TB, but lists the drive as no file system.

Yup doing the slow backup over the network...

...I am curious how an external USB raid would look...I may have to try that next.

It would look like a GPT formatted system, so that wouldn't work either.

Copying over a gigabit network is the fastest way to copy data from a v1 NAS.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements