× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FS108PNA -- Get RMA for replacement

Digital999
Luminary

FS108PNA -- Get RMA for replacement

I have a POE switch that has two failing ports.  I cannot find out how to get an RMA for this product which has a "Lifetime Warranty" and is registered under my devices. 

Either there is a failure in the web page or Netgear is hiding the support RMA number.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: FS108PNA -- Get RMA for replacement

Message 2 of 13
Digital999
Luminary

That link leads into a circular set of web pages with no way to see hardware support. 

BTW, I have been a Netgear user for the past 12 plus years with many products registered.   

And that is why I requested help -- failing hardware that is registered and covered under hardware warranty but the only link is to go to the 'community forum'.

Does Netgear employ humans that can help?

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

Did you try contacting them via phone? 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

There's a business number on there. 

Message 4 of 13
Digital999
Luminary

Thank you for your reply -- but it was just speculation. 

Absent a case number the telephone wait time is over 90 minutes for an agent. 

And that is why I requested help -- failing hardware that is registered and covered under hardware warranty but the only link is to go to the 'community forum'.

Does Netgear employ humans that can help?

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

The community forum is where members of the public help out. 

You either need to go through the support site to get a case number/rma going or call them. 

there's nothing to do on the forum to get that. 

Message 6 of 13
Digital999
Luminary

The reason that I opened this discussion is to somehow embarrass Netgear so they stop pointing to the community forum instead of having a way to open a case.  I have many devices registered, my clients have hundreds. 

You are a nice person but what I want is Netgear management to pay attention. 

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

After 90 days it always refers back to the forum as after 90 days its paid support. 

And management doesn't pay attention to these forums. 

They do listen to business customers more than consumer ones but you actually have to call them and wait on hold if there's a wait. 

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@Digital999 wrote:

You are a nice person but what I want is Netgear management to pay attention. 

And you think they pay any attention at all to this forum?  No chance.  There are a few Netgear employees here, but they are way below the level that can make a difference in that area.  And you are also using the wrong section of the forum, which may contribute to a lack of useful answers.  This section is for ReadyNAS devices, not routers.

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Digital999 

Not sure this is really worth the effort for an 8 port unmanaged fast ethernet switch - you can get new 8 gigabit ones for less than $25 USD.. 

But I also have a couple of switches with a lifetime hardware warranty.

When I log into my.netgear.com, I see this in the registered device list:

support1.png

Clicking on "product info" brings up this:

support2.png

Then clicking on "request hardware support", brings up this screen:

support3.png

So maybe try this, and see if you can get a replacement that way.

Message 10 of 13
Digital999
Luminary

There are several issues here.  The intention of this post was to get someone at Netgear to pay attention and/or fix the issues.

When I used to log on to my Netgear Account (or the Netgear accounts of my clients) a list of registered hardware was presented.  That is no longer the case for some reason.  If there was a 'request hardware support' option I would have used it.  For my account, and other accounts I manage, it no longer appears. 

The actual product is an 8 port switch with 4 ports of POE capability.  The POE is needed for security camera installation.  StephenB is probably correct that the time involved is not worth the effort for replacement.  However this product has "Lifetime Hardware Warranty" as part of its sales strategy.  Clients follow my recommendations and when I recommended it, I refereed to the "Lifetime Hardware Warranty" support as an important benefit.  The client wants it replaced under warranty -- you cannot blame them.  The task falls to me to make it happen.   Of interest is that this same product has failed twice in the past six years in the client's environment -- my guess is because of hardware design issues not protecting against EMP back surge from lightening.  Regardless of the reason, at this failure rate the client is insistent on no cost replacement.  And I cannot blame them.

My personal view is that I will be handling another 10+ replacements over the next five years at this failure rate. 

I did a brief check and it seems that based on my activity there are 37 installed devices like this nationwide.  One failure is incidental but as the numbers mount then the user expectations also mount. 

I waited 93 minutes to talk to an agent.  When I did get an agent a case was opened.  With an open case number future contact is much improved for access.   It will be replaced with NBD shipping since it is a 'business' product and supported by that staff.

Again, the intention is to get Netgear to pay attention. 

If Netgear does not use this forum as an information source for improvement, as some commenters have suggested, then the implication is that they are shoving support onto a user forum and not handling customer issues appropriately. 

My issue is solved,  Netgear's response process is not solved. 

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

The registration is the best place to start with. All your registered devices will be listed under https://my.netgear.com/ - easy to file eg. a hardware replacement process from there. Bo calling, no email submission et all required.
Message 12 of 13
schumaku
Guru

A little bit more verbose or graphical information of what you see and get instead of the registered device list would be useful.

Hard to guess what site or URL you ré referring of getting no devices listed. Yes, it could be a temporary issue, some problem with local browser cache, ore rarely some URL reference loop. Without anything it's hard to gain any attention momentum. Yes, just yet another customer and Netgear user here...
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements