× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTPS or SFTP as option in Frontview backup

Jellen
Aspirant

FTPS or SFTP as option in Frontview backup

As you all know FTP is still one of the most common file transfer protocols used to backup or restore data from remote servers. This is however a huge security risk, FTP has no encryption, not on account details and not on the data that's being transfered.

In a time where high encryption and strong passwords are expected this is still a huge security issue.

I would like the Jedi's to look into the possibility of adding security to the FTP protocol and this via FTPS (tls or ssl added to the FTP protocol) This shouldn't be too difficult, it is already available for transfers to and from local shares.

Something more advanced would be SFTP. I can imagine that this is harder to implement because this isn't a real FTP protcol anymore. SSH protocol connection. (May need users to add SSH add-on, more complex, ...)

I would be very happy to see one of these two implemented in future releases so I don't need to be worried that all my data is available to anyone who wants to look into it, or even causing damage.

Hope you guys support this request! It is essential to safe data transfer over FTP.
Message 1 of 39
yoh-dah
Guide

Re: FTPS or SFTP as option in Frontview backup

FYI, FTPS is already supported. 😎
Message 2 of 39
Jellen
Aspirant

In the Frontview backup window?

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=29954

How do you activate it?

Kind regards
Jellen
Message 3 of 39
yoh-dah
Guide

It should just work as long as you've enabled FTP service.
Message 4 of 39
Jellen
Aspirant

Ok can you explain me step by step how to?

I go to frontview backup jobs
add backup job
select source (backup share)
select destination (ftp server)
and then?

Standard this uses a non secure ftp connection.
I then asked on the backup forum how to configure this (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=29954

And I quote ewok : "The backup manager doesn't support FTPS or SFTP at this time, though it may be added in a future release. Please open up a topic in the feature request page if you would like to see this added."

Seems to be some confusion around this or I'm looking over it..

Kind regards
Jellen
Message 5 of 39
XFBushy
Aspirant

What was the outcome of this decision. i am trying to accomplish the same scenerio
Message 6 of 39
yoh-dah
Guide

FYI, SFTP support is there automatically if you enable SSH access.
Message 7 of 39
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

yoh-dah wrote:

But that voids software support until factory default.
Message 8 of 39
yoh-dah
Guide

mdgm wrote:
yoh-dah wrote:

But that voids software support until factory default.

Not unless we determine that the cause of any problem was due to customer messing with the OS. Root SSH access can be deadly...
Message 9 of 39
mjw1
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:

Hi Yoh-dah,

I have SSH enabled but no SFTP option is present when I select "Add a New Backup Job" in FrontView.

I want to use the ReadyNAS to backup my Ubuntu server machine (which can be accessed via SFTP but not FTP). One of the options for the backup source in the FrontView menu is called "Remote: FTP Site" but there is no option for "Remote: SFTP Site".

Please can you clarify how we should set up a backup via SFTP using the Frontview backup functionality?

Thanks,

Mark
Message 10 of 39
yoh-dah
Guide

mjw wrote:
yoh-dah wrote:

Hi Yoh-dah,

I have SSH enabled but no SFTP option is present when I select "Add a New Backup Job" in FrontView.

I want to use the ReadyNAS to backup my Ubuntu server machine (which can be accessed via SFTP but not FTP). One of the options for the backup source in the FrontView menu is called "Remote: FTP Site" but there is no option for "Remote: SFTP Site".

Please can you clarify how we should set up a backup via SFTP using the Frontview backup functionality?

Thanks,

Mark

SFTP server support is present on the ReadyNAS, not client, i.e. you can use a SFTP client to access data on the ReadyNAS. There is no SFTP support from FrontView Backup.
Message 11 of 39
mjw1
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:
mjw wrote:
yoh-dah wrote:

Hi Yoh-dah,

Thanks,

Mark

SFTP server support is present on the ReadyNAS, not client, i.e. you can use a SFTP client to access data on the ReadyNAS. There is no SFTP support from FrontView Backup.

Would it be possible for Netgear to add this feature to FrontView? It would seem relatively easy since the API for FTP is pretty much identical to SFTP.
Message 12 of 39
Jellen
Aspirant

I'm also waiting for that feature to be added into frontview.

I guess it's possible to enable sftp but how do you do that using Frontview?
Message 13 of 39
itsupporter
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:
mjw wrote:
yoh-dah wrote:

Hi Yoh-dah,

Thanks,

Mark

This is a highly needed option and a must-have if doing backups to a remote ftp-server from the ReadyNAS. No one sends out unencrypted data on the Internet. Is this an option that is planned to be implemented?
Message 14 of 39
Jellen
Aspirant

Still waiting for this issue to be explained or implimented.

Kind regards
Jellen
Message 15 of 39
Jellen
Aspirant

Bump

Jedi's can you please make secure ftp connection available from withing Frontview backup.
Highly appreciated!

Jellen
Message 16 of 39
jjames1
Tutor

I too would like to see sftp as a option from the Frontview backup gui so one could schedule backup from sftp to the readynas - rather then having to do on the client servers to the readynas
Message 17 of 39
Evil666
Aspirant

I would like to see three options in Frontview. FTP SFTP or FTPS as options on how the user must login when the admin creates the account. Only one can be used.
As it is now FTP and FTPS can be used on any account, the user doesn't have to use FTPS if they don't want to which can be a security problem.

Right now only root can use SFTP. Not digging this cause i will not give out name and pass to root. I know you can create additional accouts via command but i see in the forum some people are having issues. Just to be able to choose this via front view would be nice.

I also would like to see ssh socks/HTTP Proxy forwarding mixed in there. My router can do it but it would be nice to do an all in one on the NAS using Bitvise's full potential.
Message 18 of 39
twinty7
Aspirant

:shock:

PLEEEASE ! I too cast my vote for a "friendlier" / easier setup for SFTP via Front View
Message 19 of 39
cjohns38
Aspirant

I work in a research lab and we are doing joint work with another university. We after doing a lot of research I recommended a netgear NAS for our satellite data collection site. I thought it would be a great choice because the NAS isn't that expensive, could be mapped as a network drive, would back itself up, and would be able to do incremental FTP's nightly of the data collected to our large scale SFTP. Unfortunately, after buying the NAS and getting it hooked up, we found that the frontline interface didn't support the SFTP transfers required by our Internal Review Boards. SO..........now we are left to duct tape a transfer procedure together using a SFTP client and windows scheduler. Not cool.

So......while it's true I should have ensured that it supported SFTP backups, I'm disappointed with what we ended up with. For the functionality we have now I could have recommended a cheaper alternative that does the same thing. My hope is that this SFTP frontview backup option will be added (soon) so we have that ability to schedule incremental backups to our SFTP from the NAS. If you have further questions feel free to drop me an email.

😞
Message 20 of 39
claykin
Aspirant

+1 for FTP/S support via Frontview Backup. This should be easier than SFTP since its already available as part of the FTP service.
Message 21 of 39
hellbeach2010
Aspirant

+1 for FTP/S support via Frontview Backup. Get it done already, plain FTP is stone age..
Message 22 of 39
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This would be great.

Just wondering what the reason is to use SFTP rather than Rsync over SSH?
Message 23 of 39
claykin
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
This would be great.

Just wondering what the reason is to use SFTP rather than Rsync over SSH?

Secure connection for remote users to access my FTP server.
Message 24 of 39
Skarn
Aspirant

I may be showing my ignorance here, and if so, please correct me.

Based on what I see already in this thread, the FTPS supported would appear to be Explicit mode, where you have to ASK for encryption, and AFAIK this is AFTER logging in over an insecure connection.

Log my vote as being for the addition of IMPLICIT FTPS where you can't log in unless you're already encrypted.

I'll change my vote to SFTP IF and ONLY IF SFTP access for users can be added WITHOUT having to enable root SSH.
Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements