× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fans in Pro 6

Equinox1
Guide

Fans in Pro 6

I bought a pimped-up Pro 6, and the fans are running in reverse: the side air is pushing hot air out of the CPU, and the rear fan is sucking cold air instead of extracting the hot air.

I'm not sure what the previous guy did, but this is very weird, never any similar situation in my hardware years.

2 questions before I start taking things apart:
- is there any central place where the polarity or the direction of the fans is controlled?
- is there any remote possibility of the previous owner having miswired the fans, somehow?

Thanks for any help before "the surgery".
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Equinox1
Guide

New episodes... I think the guy that installed all these after market components reversed the big fan in the rear. I couldnt touch the other ones, so I just reversed that one. The CPU (indeed, the kozuti) and the other small fan in the back arent possible to dismantle without taking everything apart.
When I put it back together, I got a normal airflow, and -15 C on the CPU:
- now the air comes in from the side and the front, and gets through the back
- the cpu is at 45 c in normal usage
- the system temp is at 60 C in normal usage
- fan RPMs rarely exceed 960RPM

I believe this is much more inline with a normal behavior than before. 🙂
Thanks for the tips, itsjasper!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Equinox1
Guide

I got my Pro 6 open.... and got this stuff inside:

Has anyone seen these fans before? Is there any reason for the airflow to be reversed on this thing?
Message 2 of 8
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Just want to share this link below. Compare it with the diagram shown on the link: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... rol-(2009-)
Message 3 of 8
Equinox1
Guide

Ixa, thanks for the tip!

But I knew that I didnt have a stock fan. But the thing, I have never seen anything similar.... I dont even know how it should work, let alone take it apart.
Message 4 of 8
depasseg
Aspirant

Usually you can unscrew the fans and turn them around to change the airflow.
Message 5 of 8
itsjasper
Luminary

That CPU cooler looks like a Scythe Kozuti SCKZT-1000 to me: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2614

Seems likely that both the rear fan and the CPU fan airflow directions were reversed, as the fan on the CPU cooler should draw in air according to the instructions.
Message 6 of 8
Equinox1
Guide

New episodes... I think the guy that installed all these after market components reversed the big fan in the rear. I couldnt touch the other ones, so I just reversed that one. The CPU (indeed, the kozuti) and the other small fan in the back arent possible to dismantle without taking everything apart.
When I put it back together, I got a normal airflow, and -15 C on the CPU:
- now the air comes in from the side and the front, and gets through the back
- the cpu is at 45 c in normal usage
- the system temp is at 60 C in normal usage
- fan RPMs rarely exceed 960RPM

I believe this is much more inline with a normal behavior than before. 🙂
Thanks for the tips, itsjasper!
Message 7 of 8
gregb_pro
Aspirant

CPU temperature of 45 degrees C seems high; our Pro Business Edition CPU temperature runs below 25 degrees C (and system temperature is usually below 50 degrees C).

Consider checking the CPU heatsink bonding - ours needed thermal paste because the factory installed bonding was marginal (use good silver thermal paste).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements