× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Faulty Chassis?

Qkarmark
Aspirant

Faulty Chassis?

I have a NAS 314 that my co-worker let me keep, it was no longer being used, so I decided to set it up at home as a media server.

I initially installed two existing Seagate drives (250 GB each) that I removed from a desktop computer, and everything was working fine - they were installed into bays #3 and #4.

So I then purchased two more Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drives to put into the remaining two bays. I didn't know that I could access the logs until several days later of waiting for them to finish syncing, but it seems that the drive in Bay #2 was giving me problems - the LED light over bay #2 was flashing so I discovered I could see the logs from my admin page  - it was giving me an ATA 20393 error, I did not know what the error meant but it lead me to believe its either the drive or the NAS controller unable to communicate with the drive.

I chose to replace the suspect drive in Bay #2 with a brand new one, and the same thing happened in the same bay. 

So now I have removed the two 250 Gb drives, replaced both of them with the new 4TB Ironwolf drives into bays #3 and #4, and everything is fine now. Bay #1 and #2 are still empty.

My question is, can I repair or replace the chassis for Bay #2? If so, where do I find such a part?

thanks

Quentin 

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Faulty Chassis?

FIrst, I would power down the NAS and move the drives into slots 1 and 2.  Then power up, and see if the NAS boots properly.  

If it does boot, you can go to the volume page in the web ui, click on the volume settings wheel and run a disk test.

If it is the bay, then it's not easily repairable.  Netgear doesn't sell parts, and there is no service manual.

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

An ATA error, though recorded in the drive SMART data, can be caused by a problem with the interfacing hardware, not the drive itself.  Failure to fully seat is often the issue, so look inside and see if there is anything restricting the drive or the connector is broken or dirty.  If you see nothing, then the fact that it occurred with two new drives that work in another slot suggestes it is a chassis issue -- probably the SATA backplane.   Spare parts are not available, even for original purchasers.  So, be happy you have a free 3-bay NAS.

Message 3 of 9
Qkarmark
Aspirant

Thanks, @Sandshark - I will inspect the connector and cross my fingers it is just dirty.... the NAS has sat unused for a number of months prior to my attempting to get it set up.

Quentin 

Message 4 of 9
Qkarmark
Aspirant

thx @StephenB  and @Sandshark 

turns out it was dirty: I powered down, blasted with air and installed all four disks into the bays before booting again, and it worked!

all green LEDs across the board.

So now I have another question, I put the two smaller drives into bays #1 and 2, but they have data on them from the last time I created the NAS volume.

What if I want to start over from scratch, ie: use the two small drives for one volume and the two larger drives for another volume? how do I do that?

thx again

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Qkarmark wrote:

I powered down, blasted with air and installed all four disks into the bays before booting again, and it worked!

all green LEDs across the board.

Great!

@Qkarmark wrote:

What if I want to start over from scratch, ie: use the two small drives for one volume and the two larger drives for another volume? how do I do that?

If you want two volumes, you would turn off XRAID on the volumes page.  If the green stripe is on the XRAID control, then XRAID is enabled.  Click on the control, and it will turn off.

Then hot-insert the two other disks.  You'd select them, and then format.  After that you create a second RAID volume.

The other option is to just leave XRAID on, and go with a single volume.  You'd get more capacity that way.  You'd hot-insert them (as above) and format them.  The NAS should then begin adding them to your existing array (one at a time).  The capacity rule is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  Keep in mind that the NAS reports volume size in TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes), but the disk manufacturers use TB (1000*1000*1000*1000).  Google will convert for you - try entering "10 TB in TiB" into google search.

Message 6 of 9
Qkarmark
Aspirant

thanks again for your help...

so to be clear, to get a single XRAID volume, I want to:

1) power down

2) remove the two drives in bay #1 and 2

3) boot up with the large 4TB  drives in Bay #3 and 4

4) hot-insert the two smaller drives I took out

5) format the two smaller drives?

did I miss anything?

Quentin 

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Qkarmark wrote:

thanks again for your help...

so to be clear, to get a single XRAID volume, I want to:

1) power down

2) remove the two drives in bay #1 and 2

3) boot up with the large 4TB  drives in Bay #3 and 4

4) hot-insert the two smaller drives I took out

5) format the two smaller drives?

No.  With XRAID you always start with the smallest disks, which are already installed.

So you

1. Confirm XRAID is on (green stripe on the control in the volume tab)
  2. hot-insert the first larger drive and format
  3. wait for expansion to complete
  4. hot-insert the second larger drive and format
  5. wait for expansion

Since you are starting fresh, you can also

1. power down
  2. insert all disks
  3. power up, using the boot menu to do another factory reset.

Message 8 of 9
Qkarmark
Aspirant

Ok sounds good. I factory reset with all four drives installed, and left my house for the day... hopefully it will all be set to go this evening... appreciate the assistance, have a great day 😄

Quentin
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements