× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Feature Request: Volume Capcity Warning

Pete_Mc
Aspirant

Feature Request: Volume Capcity Warning

Not sure where to post this, but hopefully it will make it to the Development Team for All ReadyNAS devices....

In v6.10.0 there is still a missing "Feature" (really a BUG) that likes to toss our Capacity Warnings based on units back in the day that only had a TB or so.  I've found old posts that show this is something that others have been asking about for years.  So can it finally be fixed please. 

I've been running just fine for years with about 25% available on a 18TB unit used for backup.  Old BU chains are tossed as new ones are created and I really don't get why I can't modify or turn off the warning that I'm less than 30%.

So can someone pass this on to the Development Team and get them to fix this <cough> Feature sometime soon.  It's fine if you want to set the default to 30%, but it shouldn't be locked in.

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Feature Request: Volume Capcity Warning

Feature requests should be posted in the idea exchange.  Though truthfully, Netgear doesn't seem to pay much attention to it.

Personally I've found that btrfs needs more free space than ext (particularly with snapshots enabled).  But I agree that the 30% threshold is too conservative, and it would be useful to be able to change it.

This particular request is already in the idea exchange (at least once) - https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Configurable-drive-space-warnings/idi-p/1146... It didn't get a lot of votes, but it did get some.

You could upvote it, or maybe post it again.

Message 2 of 4
Pete_Mc
Aspirant

30% in some cases could be an issue.  But not so much when you're talking TBs in my case.  That's why I think they need to join this century on their notifications.

And you're right, it prob. won't do much, but I did just add my comment to the old post.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Pete_Mc wrote:

30% in some cases could be an issue.  But not so much when you're talking TBs in my case.  That's why I think they need to join this century on their notifications.

30% is conservative.  But I wouldn't feel comfortable with a threshold much below 20% on my own volume (which is also 18 TB).  I've seen too many posts here from users who skated too close to the edge.

BTRFS can use a lot of free space in a hurry, especially if you use snapshots.  If the system gets too low, you are often faced with destroying the volume and starting from scratch.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements