× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Feature list/description for latest version of ReadyNAS software on any new model?

glashoppah
Aspirant

Feature list/description for latest version of ReadyNAS software on any new model?

Have been using a ReadyNAS Pro Business for well over a decade.  It's been running RAIDiator 4.2.31 for a long time and I've gotten a lot of use out of it.  Power supply recently croaked (anyone else hate water-based caps?) and just replaced it and this caused me to consider finally upgrading to a newer ReadyNAS, so I hopped on the Netgear site to check out the features.  There are plenty of links showing hardware comparisions, but after almost a day of digging I can't find any links that show the software features.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your time.

G.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Feature list/description for latest version of ReadyNAS software on any new model?

You can find the full OS-6 documentation here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ReadyNAS_OS_6.aspx#docs

The web UI is completely different, but a lot of the functionality will be familiar to you.

Some of the more significant functional differences (no particular order):

• Newer linux (jessie)
  • Support for SMB 3
  • use of the BTRFS file system (including BTRFS snapshots)
  • Antivirus and file search features
  • Several cloud services
  • ReadyDR backup
  • Ability to switch between XRAID and FlexRAID w/o data loss.
  • More RAID modes in FlexRAID
  • SSD Tiering.

64bit 4.2.x systems can be converted to OS-6, though the process is destructive (and not supported by Netgear).   My own Pro-6 is still running 4.2.31 and is a backup for my RN524. So that's another path.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Feature list/description for latest version of ReadyNAS software on any new model?

You can find the full OS-6 documentation here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ReadyNAS_OS_6.aspx#docs

The web UI is completely different, but a lot of the functionality will be familiar to you.

Some of the more significant functional differences (no particular order):

• Newer linux (jessie)
  • Support for SMB 3
  • use of the BTRFS file system (including BTRFS snapshots)
  • Antivirus and file search features
  • Several cloud services
  • ReadyDR backup
  • Ability to switch between XRAID and FlexRAID w/o data loss.
  • More RAID modes in FlexRAID
  • SSD Tiering.

64bit 4.2.x systems can be converted to OS-6, though the process is destructive (and not supported by Netgear).   My own Pro-6 is still running 4.2.31 and is a backup for my RN524. So that's another path.

Message 2 of 4
glashoppah
Aspirant

Thanks!  You'd think that would be highlighted on their commercial site.  

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@glashoppah wrote:

Thanks!  You'd think that would be highlighted on their commercial site.  

They introduced OS-6 about 5 years ago, so perhaps they are thinking there isn't much need to compare it with the older products anymore.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements