× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Few questions

connor25
Tutor

Few questions

I have a few questions, as am pretty new to NAS102

- Does it come with free backup Cloud space or is this a cost?

- I currently have just 1 x drive, if I up this to 2 x and use Raid am I right in thinking everything will be duplicated so in case of a failure you can switch drives, and is this possible remotely? via Teamviewer etc?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Few questions

@connor25 wrote:

- Does it come with free backup Cloud space...?

No.  There are a couple of third party apps available (egynte and idrive) but they are linked to 3rd party services.

- I currently have just 1 x drive, if I up this to 2 x and use Raid am I right in thinking everything will be duplicated so in case of a failure you can switch drives, and is this possible remotely? via Teamviewer etc?

With RAID-1 the mirroring is invisible to the user.  There is no manual drive switching.  If a drive fails, the system just switches.

You can (and should) set up email alerts so you get warning messages on failing drives (and other errors).

Even with RAID you still need backups (that is true with any NAS).  It is never wise to trust your data to a single device.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@connor25 wrote:

- Does it come with free backup Cloud space...?

No.  There are a couple of third party apps available (egynte and idrive) but they are linked to 3rd party services.

With RAID-1 the mirroring is invisible to the user.  There is no manual drive switching.  If a drive fails, the system just switches.

You can (and should) set up email alerts so you get warning messages on failing drives (and other errors).

Even with RAID you still need backups (that is true with any NAS).  It is never wise to trust your data to a single device.

Message 2 of 3
connor25
Tutor

Thanks much appreciated...

Ok I will go for Mirroring Raid 1, I have a toshiba 1tb drive currently can I put in a WD 1tb drive in and mirror, will this be ok?  it is on the safe list but not sure about mixing them up?

Then would I need to format the existing drive first, then resetup as raid? as has been running singly for a while now?

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements