× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

File Manager inside Readynas

landogarner
Aspirant

File Manager inside Readynas

It would be nice to be able to do file manipulations directly inside ReadyNAS GUI.

We have millions of files on our ReadyNAS that come from security cameras and it takes hours to delete them over LAN access with high LAN load during this period.

I think it would be much faster to select the files to be deleted inside the ReadyNAS GUI and then let it do the job.

Any chance for implementing this feature ?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 47
chirpa
Luminary

Re: File Manager inside Readynas

firmware V4 (coming soon) has SSH shell console access, it could be done quickly using that.
Message 2 of 47
geirvb
Aspirant

Since you really doesn't want us to use SSH shell console, I must agree that a file manager would be a nice addition. Deleting small files from Vista is extremely slow (had to delete approx. 32000 files, took almost 2 days).....
Message 3 of 47
yooden1
Aspirant

geirvb wrote:
Deleting small files from Vista is extremely slow (had to delete approx. 32000 files, took almost 2 days).....

That's absurdly slow. I guess Vista for some reason pulls each file over the net before it deletes it. Could you try another protocol?
Message 4 of 47
yooden1
Aspirant

geirvb wrote:
Deleting small files from Vista is extremely slow (had to delete approx. 32000 files, took almost 2 days).....

Does Vista copy the files in the local trashcan during deletion?
Message 5 of 47
jimwillsher
Aspirant

yes, unless you hold down the shift key when choosing delete.

Having said that.....that's normally only the case for local files. Normally remote files don't go via the trashcan. Hmmm.
Message 6 of 47
yoh-dah
Guide

There's a Recycle Bin feature that you can enable on the ReadyNAS. Take a look at the CIFS share access tab.
Message 7 of 47
NeverEnoughToys
Aspirant

+1 on the internal file manager.
Message 8 of 47
geirvb
Aspirant

The fun thing is that I get great performance on the ReadyNAS doing write (33 MBs) and read of larger files (> 300 MB).

So what did I do? By accident I copied the temp directory from an old machine to the NAS during backup. I then entered that directory from my Vista machine (connected with a 1 GB switch), selected all files (took forever), the pressed shift+delete. And waited .......
Message 9 of 47
yooden1
Aspirant

geirvb wrote:
So what did I do? By accident I copied the temp directory from an old machine to the NAS during backup. I then entered that directory from my Vista machine (connected with a 1 GB switch), selected all files (took forever), the pressed shift+delete. And waited .......

Does the shift act as a toggle, ie. did it switch on trash can mode which is normally off for network drives?
Message 10 of 47
yooden1
Aspirant

-1 for the Web GUI file manager, not because I would care (it's easy to ignore) but because the Jedis' time is too valuable to fix Vista's mistakes. Get a decent operating system that is not overstrained by network drives.
Message 11 of 47
NeverEnoughToys
Aspirant

Actually, I don't use Vista. I use XP. Deleting 100-300GB files takes a LONG time.

My +1 stands...
Message 12 of 47
tvleavitt
Aspirant

Local file manipulation

We'd like to copy/move files around on the ReadyNAS, pull out portions of the files we're backup up via rsync, and create an archive directory - we're talking thousands of files and several gigabytes of data at a time... doing this over the network (1GB switched) is just painfully slow. This is annoying, when I know that if I logged in via SSH and did a cp or mv, it would be orders of magnitude faster - but that's not supported. If there was some other way to move files around on the ReadyNAS that didn't saturate the network, and was supported, that would be great. FTP doesn't work, because it is insecure.

Hmm... now that I think about it, using "scponly" (as I suggested elsewhere) would solve this problem too.
Message 13 of 47
Nick_123
Aspirant

+1 😄
Message 14 of 47
jcollins
Aspirant

I'd agree, it'd be nice to have a viable file manager on the ReadyNAS. There's certain functions that would be a lot faster to do locally on the NAS vs over the network.

SSH is doable for the technically inclined, but I think that it would be more user friendly for the majority of people if there was some sort of interface.
Message 15 of 47
miguelcouce
Aspirant

Agree, is more fast acting over the ReadyNAS than over the network, file manager is a good option.
Message 16 of 47
yoh-dah
Guide

There is a built-in HTTP file manager. Just enable write access over HTTP and you can connect to http://<readynas> and do your magic. 😎
Message 17 of 47
geirvb
Aspirant

If there already is a file manager, why not make it available in FrontView so that we does not have to open another protocol?
Message 18 of 47
yooden1
Aspirant

geirvb wrote:
If there already is a file manager, why not make it available in FrontView so that we does not have to open another protocol?

You don't need to open a new protocol. The way I understand yoh-dah, the file manager is available in Frontview already.
Message 19 of 47
dbott67
Guide

Windows Users

For those that don't mind enabling SSH access, you can use something like WinSCP to manage files on your NAS. Keep in mind that enabling SSH may result in Netgear denying you support, but it'll do what you want:

For Linux users

Most distros will include support for SFTP, such as Konquerer in KDE or gFTP in Gnome. If your distro lacks either, you can download/compile gFTP yourself at http://gftp.seul.org/.

For MAC Users

There is also a port of gFTP for the Mac, but who knows, maybe there's already an FTP/SFTP/SCP client built-in:

http://gftp.darwinports.com/

-Dave
Message 20 of 47
MarkusB
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:
There is a built-in HTTP file manager. Just enable write access over HTTP and you can connect to http://<readynas> and do your magic. 😎

So I enabled write access over HTTP. Logged in as admin and then I can see all the shares I enabled write access. I click through the tree to the directory, where I have some undeletable files. So far great.
But: It doesn't show any files in all directories (they are there, for sure).
Help says:
"Why does the file manager seem broken in certain directories or when copying or pasting certain files?
This occurs when the web file manager does not have permission to access these files. You must access these files via another method."

Nice, there is a built-in HTTP file manager, but if I want to use it, I have to use "another method". 😄
Is there a way to get the permission?

Regards
Markus
Message 21 of 47
yoh-dah
Guide

MarkusB wrote:
yoh-dah wrote:

So I enabled write access over HTTP. Logged in as admin and then I can see all the shares I enabled write access. I click through the tree to the directory, where I have some undeletable files. So far great.
But: It doesn't show any files in all directories (they are there, for sure).
Help says:
"Why does the file manager seem broken in certain directories or when copying or pasting certain files?
This occurs when the web file manager does not have permission to access these files. You must access these files via another method."

Nice, there is a built-in HTTP file manager, but if I want to use it, I have to use "another method". 😄
Is there a way to get the permission?

Regards
Markus

The HTTP file manager will run as user "admin" even if you logged in as another user. It's a limitation due to the service. But the effect is if the file is owned by another user and "admin" does not have access to it, you'll have some problems. Perhaps try using dbott67's suggestion of using a FTP or SCP client. For SCP, you would need to enable SSH support however.
Message 22 of 47
looter
Aspirant

Re:

[/quote]
The HTTP file manager will run as user "admin" even if you logged in as another user. It's a limitation due to the service. But the effect is if the file is owned by another user and "admin" does not have access to it, you'll have some problems. Perhaps try using dbott67's suggestion of using a FTP or SCP client. For SCP, you would need to enable SSH support however.[/quote]

Any way to access a private home share via HTTP file manager?
Message 23 of 47
nfjanette
Aspirant

+1 on the request.

The existing http file browser is limited to working with shares on that box. This doesn't cover what I'd like to be able to do: copy files from another (non-readyNAS without rsync support) NAS onto a ReadyNAS without the read/write overhead passed through a desktop client system. If this was available, I could also then use the second interfaces on an 1100 box (and the other NAS) to keep traffic off of the production LAN.
Message 24 of 47
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Ummm..... +1 on the internal file manager.
Message 25 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements