× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 6.10.5 Warning

JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Firmware 6.10.5 Warning

I just downloaded this Firmware tonight and it screwed everything up!!!!  Most all of my apps running. 

#1 Docker CE CLI.  Installing this firmware update removes that app.  Of course once it removes that all, all your apps running in DOCKER no longer work!!!!

It seems to screw up PLEX along with Tautulli.   

Luckily I downloaded the firmware 6.10.4 and manually installed that.  Shortly after it installed Hotfix 1.  I changd Update to Long Term Support.

I tried to reinstall Docker CLI from the apps area, the icon was not there.  It failed.  My Docker apps were not working.  So I went back to 6.10.4.   Then I was able to install Docker CLI once again.  But my Docker apps were still not running.  It seems it disabled all that also.  I have all my config files for my Docker apps saved.  So it was back to redownloading them, and going through the process and starting them backup.  I didn't lose any of those app settings.  So that was all good.  PLEX didn't seem to know my PLEX media server.  It also didn't seem to want to play anything.  It was just a busy signal, waiting.  So I reinstalled PLEX and now it seems to be working once again.

If you use PLEX, you may be able to get it working under 6.10.5.  I didn't care at that point with DOCKER being the biggest issue!!!  This is really the best way to install Apps on your NAS. Why it's not built into ReadyNAS OS???  Becuase the app store is basically a joke.  It opens up a huge world of app's when you can get them in Docker format and not screw up your NAS trying to SSH manually install apps the OLD WAY!!!

Advoid 6.10.5 if you do these things.  Will it get fixed?!?!?!  If it's already to late, you can go back.  As far back as 6.10.0.  Should be no need to go back that far.  Go download 6.10.4 and manually install and fix your NAS.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
CLHatch
Luminary

@JBDragon1 wrote:

I never had any problem with PLEX as that was installed as a normal .DEB file.  What I had issue with was with my DOCKER Apps I have running.  So to use Docker apps, you need Docker CLI app running.  It stopped working with 6.10.5.  In turn that cause my Docker apps to stop working.

There is a cure to this. Download the Kernal Plus app from Netgear.  It's also in the apps area.  Docker CLI will once again work.  Along with all my Docker apps.

Plex and EMBY are the only apps I have installed the normal App way.   When Tautulli updated to version 2.7.4, it required an upgrade to Python 3.  So that was going to open up a whole new can of worms.  So I backed up the Database and put it in a safe place, and then I installed the Docker version of Tautulli and restored the Data back which is 2 differnt files.  All was good.  It gets everything it needs incuding Python 3.  Really making it a snap.  Doing other DOCKER apps, it's not all that hard to install.  Much, Much, much simpler to install apps on a readnas that are not in the Netgear app store.  It really opens things up to all kinds of apps.  My Docker apps auto bootup on their own.  It is really so much simpler then trying to SSH into a drive and trying to install apps the normal way.  You end up mangling your NAS.   

You still have to SSH into your NAS, but you're using DOCKER to do everything.  I can install a Docker app pretty quickly now.  The one Negative is apps can't be updated withen the app because of the way Docker works.  So that can be a little bit of a Hassle.  But it's not bad.

If you didn't know, Tautulli is a great Database program for PLEX.  It tells you all kinds of Data.  Has Graphs, etc.  So I really know what is going on wiht PLEX.  So all is good.  PLEX always worked fine like I said.  If I ran PLEX as a DOCKER app, I'd have had the same issue with PLEX.  

Here's a Link to the Tautulli Docker app.  Look under Docker CLI for your settings you need.  Once you figure it out, It's not hard at all.  I have all my Docker app Settings in a basic text file. I just cut out the one I need for whatever Docker app and paste it into my SSH window at the right point.

As a Example, here is my Docker CLI Settings for Tautulli.  All the parameters below that I'm using are listed on that web page.  All Docker apps are pretty simular.  So instead of having to have an App setup for the specific hardware you have.  Like a .DEB file that works on a ReadyNAS and either the Intel or ARM version, you use DOCKER that pretty much works on anything and grabs the software version needed, Intel or Arm, and anything it needs.  It's basically Sandboxed.  I think better than running a Virtual Machine which requires a lot more work and resource heavy.    Docker support these days is really a must have!!!!  It took me a little bit to figure out, but now I'm up and running with it.  So many apps these days have a Docker version ready to go.  It'll run on a ReadyNAS, or a QNAP, or whatever other NAS out there that also supports DOCKER.

docker run -d \
  --name=tautulli \
  -e PUID=1001 \
  -e PGID=1001 \
  -e TZ=America/Los_Angeles \
  -p 8181:8181 \
  -v /home/docker/tautulli/config:/config \
  --restart unless-stopped \

ghcr.io/linuxserver/tautulli

This actually isn't a "bug".  Any time there is a kernel change, you'll need to update the kernel extensions that Docker requires.  The release notes for 6.10.5 specifically said that the kernel was updated in it, so we knew that those extensions needed to be updated also.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

ReadyNAS Network Storage: Official NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Ya, that's what I did, ops!!!!  Wrong area.

Message 3 of 12
Westyfield2
Tutor

Has this been confirmed, or resolved?

A firmware being incompatilbe with particular app add-ons isn't great.  Plex for example is very widely used.

Message 4 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I never had any problem with PLEX as that was installed as a normal .DEB file.  What I had issue with was with my DOCKER Apps I have running.  So to use Docker apps, you need Docker CLI app running.  It stopped working with 6.10.5.  In turn that cause my Docker apps to stop working.

There is a cure to this. Download the Kernal Plus app from Netgear.  It's also in the apps area.  Docker CLI will once again work.  Along with all my Docker apps.

Plex and EMBY are the only apps I have installed the normal App way.   When Tautulli updated to version 2.7.4, it required an upgrade to Python 3.  So that was going to open up a whole new can of worms.  So I backed up the Database and put it in a safe place, and then I installed the Docker version of Tautulli and restored the Data back which is 2 differnt files.  All was good.  It gets everything it needs incuding Python 3.  Really making it a snap.  Doing other DOCKER apps, it's not all that hard to install.  Much, Much, much simpler to install apps on a readnas that are not in the Netgear app store.  It really opens things up to all kinds of apps.  My Docker apps auto bootup on their own.  It is really so much simpler then trying to SSH into a drive and trying to install apps the normal way.  You end up mangling your NAS.   

You still have to SSH into your NAS, but you're using DOCKER to do everything.  I can install a Docker app pretty quickly now.  The one Negative is apps can't be updated withen the app because of the way Docker works.  So that can be a little bit of a Hassle.  But it's not bad.

If you didn't know, Tautulli is a great Database program for PLEX.  It tells you all kinds of Data.  Has Graphs, etc.  So I really know what is going on wiht PLEX.  So all is good.  PLEX always worked fine like I said.  If I ran PLEX as a DOCKER app, I'd have had the same issue with PLEX.  

Here's a Link to the Tautulli Docker app.  Look under Docker CLI for your settings you need.  Once you figure it out, It's not hard at all.  I have all my Docker app Settings in a basic text file. I just cut out the one I need for whatever Docker app and paste it into my SSH window at the right point.

As a Example, here is my Docker CLI Settings for Tautulli.  All the parameters below that I'm using are listed on that web page.  All Docker apps are pretty simular.  So instead of having to have an App setup for the specific hardware you have.  Like a .DEB file that works on a ReadyNAS and either the Intel or ARM version, you use DOCKER that pretty much works on anything and grabs the software version needed, Intel or Arm, and anything it needs.  It's basically Sandboxed.  I think better than running a Virtual Machine which requires a lot more work and resource heavy.    Docker support these days is really a must have!!!!  It took me a little bit to figure out, but now I'm up and running with it.  So many apps these days have a Docker version ready to go.  It'll run on a ReadyNAS, or a QNAP, or whatever other NAS out there that also supports DOCKER.

docker run -d \
  --name=tautulli \
  -e PUID=1001 \
  -e PGID=1001 \

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Westyfield2 wrote:

Has this been confirmed, or resolved?

Per this thread, the particular problem was resolved on 3 June 21: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Storage-Apps-Current/Upgrade-linux-image-extra-not-up-to-d...

Though there is a more serious issue with 6.10.5 - some users have run into a login loop that has prevented them from logging in the NAS web ui and ssh. While I didn't experience this particular problem myself, I still recommend holding off on the upgrade until it is resolved.  Netgear apparently has a fix in the works, but it hasn't been rolled out yet.

Message 6 of 12
CLHatch
Luminary

@JBDragon1 wrote:

docker run -d \
  --name=tautulli \
  -e PUID=1001 \
  -e PGID=1001 \

This actually isn't a "bug".  Any time there is a kernel change, you'll need to update the kernel extensions that Docker requires.  The release notes for 6.10.5 specifically said that the kernel was updated in it, so we knew that those extensions needed to be updated also.

Message 7 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

@JBDragon1 wrote:

docker run -d \
  --name=tautulli \
  -e PUID=1001 \
  -e PGID=1001 \

I don't really use my NAS for apps, so haven't looked very hard into installing Docker.  I agree that it's a lot better than having to rely on NAS-specific apps or even a .deb file.  But, unfortunately, a "Docker on ReadyNAS for Dummies" doesn't seem to exist and Netgear just ignores the Idea Exchange thread about adding it to the OS.  The quoted section above, for example, would be just jibberish to many who could probably really use Docker.

Message 8 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

For me, it seemed like a bug.  Docker worked and then it stopped working.  How do I know what Docker requires?  No where did it state I had to download some other file.  Why wasn't it just part of the update also?   Kernel Change I'm sure doens't mean must for many people.  This is your ReadyNAS OS update.  It's not some generic OS update you just basically throw out to everyone I assume?  It has the files needed for ReadyNAS, that it gets Beta tested before public release.  Updated Kernal, OK, well why arn't the rest of the needed files just included and installed at the same time?  Why not at least say you need to download this Kernal Plus file in the App section after the OS upgrade?  Seems pretty basic to me.

I think people get into their own bubble.  They're the expert in their area and to them it all seems pretty simple and basic.  Outside of that bubble, normal people with lower skill levels, it's not so simple.  Don't just assume other things.  It's an OS update, Click the update, NAS gets updated.  Just expecting people to read changes is asking a little to much.  I do, but again, no where did it say I needed to downlad an extra file and install it.  I've never had to do that all these years of having my NAS.  So it's not normal.  So to me, looks like a bug.  If you don't want to call it a bug, then Lazy programming for a software update.  Is that better?

I know a lot on computers and Networking, and have my house wired up.,  But I'm not an expert.  I have to know a lot of things in many areas at work.  Water, Steam, Nitrogin, Comressed Air, Electrical 480V 3 phase and so on.  It goes on and on.  I'm no expert as I can't focus on a single thing and be an expert.  I know a lot on many areas and I'm pretty good. If I need an Expert, then I call them in.   If I'm having issues, others are going to have issues.  I explained how I fixed the issue I was having with Docker so others could also fix their issues.  If they didn't use Docker, they may not have ever known there was an Kernal issue.  When really, there should have never been a Kernal issue in the first place.  Good software should just work.  The Magic just happens and it all works for the user.    That is how it should work.  It's your hardware.  It's your OS.  It's a closed system just like Apple.  If I was just installing any old Linux onto the NAS, OK, I would expect issues.  Something not working right and spend my time trying to figure it out when I had time.  That means doing some Googleing and see if anyone else had the same issue and what did they do to fix it.   This is my version of telling others now I fixed the issue when someone does a search.    

Download the Kernal Plus app from Netgear in the app section of your NAS.  I had no idea it even existed, let alone what it was or if it was something I needed.  It's really kind of hidden and unknown.  I was told about it and I'm passing that info along to others.  Docker support is important.  It's a must have feature these days for most any NAS.   I won't buy any NAS in the future without DOCKER support.

When I was first learing about using DOCKER on my ReadyNAS, there really wasn't a whole lot posted around here on how to use it.  This is why I'm posting some examples.  Get others interested in using it.  Maybe not have as hard of a time as I did early on figureing it out.  My biggest issues was file PATHS at the time.  The files not going where I expected on my NAS.  Going into the 4GB System Partition and filling it up on me.  Not a good thing.  Hard to fix once full as you start having issues popping up.

Anyone that is trying to get a Docker app running and are having issues, just ask.  We can figure out what what the issue is.  Once you learn your fisr Docker app, it really should be a snap for most everything else.  You'll never want to manually go into SSH and try to install the software the old fashion way and then trying to create a bootup file for your app so it boots up everytime you NAS powers up.  That comes in really handy and in DOCKER it's a snap also.

Few Apps like PLEX and EMBY have a version for your NAS that you can just normally install easily without having to use SSH. Docker is the next best thing.  Maybe even better in some ways. 

Message 9 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

@JBDragon1 wrote:

For me, it seemed like a bug.  Docker worked and then it stopped working.  How do I know what Docker requires?  No where did it state I had to download some other file.  Why wasn't it just part of the update also?  

You seem to be under the impression that Docker is a Netgear App.  Neither the DockerCLI app nor Docker itself are.  You installed Docker, so it's your responsibility to know what it needs.  Netgear is not going to install as a part of an OS update every package that any app might ever need.

That said, that's exactly why I would like to see it become either a permanent part of the OS (perhaps only for units with sufficient RAM and CPU power) or an official add-on.  Then, that responsibility would not fall on the user.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

For me, it seemed like a bug. 

There actually was a problem - Netgear didn't include the new linux-image-extra package in the repository when they released 6.10.5. I don't know if that would have resulted in the system automatically updating that package when 6.10.5 was installed or not.  But there were a couple of weeks when folks were stuck (even if they knew what the problem was).

To @Sandshark's point, third-party apps do frequently break when new firmware is released (and sometimes they've broken the readynas web ui).  That's one reason why I don't run them on my NAS. If Netgear had fully integrated docker, that would have been really nice.

Message 11 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I will say that my next NAS will have to have Docker Support built in.  It's really a must have feature these days.  If the excuse is, well it's a 3rd party app and our OS update left out things it needed, and who cares because it's a 3rd part app, OK then, I'll remember that when I'm out shopping.  Look elseware!!!!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements